Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Sept 8

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0619.jpg

Hey skyscan, thanks for the pics, and welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks for the pictures, skyscan.

You are giving me a front row view of my future home being constructed. Please keep posting photos in future, whenever you can.

Once again, thx.

The cranes are on jacks and stay they same height throughout construction, and they climb up the middle of the building as the new floors get built.. The holes that the crane climbed through get filled in afterwards.

The building eventually supports the cranes.

A simple question for anybody who is familiar with the construction.

How the foundation/footings/floor of this building, or for that matter any other building, will be secured to make sure it does not keep sinking slowly and slowly over the years?

Thanks for the pictures, skyscan.

You are giving me a front row view of my future home being constructed. Please keep posting photos in future, whenever you can.

Once again, thx.

You're welcome. More pics to come :)

A simple question for anybody who is familiar with the construction.

How the foundation/footings/floor of this building, or for that matter any other building, will be secured to make sure it does not keep sinking slowly and slowly over the years?

Toronto's tall buildings with deep foundations sit firmly in excavations of what's called Dundas Shale, a rock bed that underpins the city, and which is not going anywhere. Rest easy.

Thanks to Interchange42 & egotrippin.

It is very reassuring to know that my building --AURA -- will not sink in the ground or collapse during my lifetime. After that, who cares?

Again, thanks to both of you.

Excavation/Foundations have always amazed me... its quite amazing how a building (some 75 stories) can rest only 5 or 6 levels below ground. yet be able to support such a huge tower!. I know the bedrock is very strong but doesn't the ground below sorta "shake" during an earthquake or the foundations crack?. and i know in extremely active places, a weak buildings' foundations can completely dismembered during powerful earthquakes....

Excavation/Foundations have always amazed me... its quite amazing how a building (some 75 stories) can rest only 5 or 6 levels below ground. yet be able to support such a huge tower!. I know the bedrock is very strong but doesn't the ground below sorta "shake" during an earthquake or the foundations crack?. and i know in extremely active places, a weak buildings' foundations can completely dismembered during powerful earthquakes....

Look how fortified the walls of the excavated hole is. This building aint goin' nowhere.

Once this reaches ground level it will truly be a spectacle to watch it rise. I hope it compliments College park well.

Last edited:
The depth of the parking garage or the thickness of the walls enclosing the excavation have nothing to do with the structural integrity or height of the tower.

The depth of the parking garage or the thickness of the walls enclosing the excavation have nothing to do with the structural integrity or height of the tower.

If depth or thickness of the walls is not relevant to the stability of a structure, then, what is relevant?

If depth or thickness of the walls is not relevant to the stability of a structure, then, what is relevant?

Everything does.

The materials, and construction methods primarily dictate the strength of the structure. Its stability is determined by the ground it sits on, its structural rigidity and load-bearing capabilities in conjunction with its ability to absorb any shock or motion from seismic events, or high winds. Lots of physics come into play, but rest assured that modern highrises are engineered to withstand the forces of nature, time and people for quite a while. The parking level depth doesn't have much to do with the integrity directly, but indirectly impacts the overall design of the structure. Wall thickness also doesn't have a static impact; they could be 10 feet thick, but made of a brittle and weak material that cannot withstand the vertical load being placed on them.

Perhaps someone with formal physics knowledge can put my points into more eloquent, and scientific wording, but I think you get the point.

Back