Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Good for JBM for properly critiquing this tall heap of bland.

When the reporter puts it to the architect that the top of the building lacks an interesting design, the architect says his designs, "...are not the most eccentric, but we do believe they will stand the test of time." I wonder if he thinks the tops of the Chrysler Buildings or even new City Hall, will not stand the test of time as well as, lets see, his College Park condos.

I also really like JBM, and his writing is always a nice read...however, what is he talking about a building being TOO big? If he means just the way it meets the street then I would agree, but if he means the sheer volume of space going upwards then I wouldn't. This is the central arterial strip for downtown, if not big here, then where? It is about the same size as aqua in Chicago, not exaclty one of their tallest towers, so I wouldn't say it is too big. Better to pack them in then spread them out.

This is the central arterial strip for downtown, if not big here, then where? It is about the same size as aqua in Chicago, not exaclty one of their tallest towers, so I wouldn't say it is too big. Better to pack them in then spread them out.

I definitely think that Aura and Number One Bloor will open the door to future clusters of 70-75 storey developments in those areas.

First of all, I would like to declare a possible conflict of interest here. I have purchased a unit on 59th floor of AURA.

Now a few musings.

Are there any parking lots still available in the vicinity of One Bloor and AURA that could be used to build 70/75 story buildings?

What the effect of these buildings will be at the street level? If sunlight does not reach the ground level or at least for a significant length of time, then, it will be colder than usual for the pedesterians. Further, snow will not melt fast and stretches of street could have thin or black ice shields making it dangerous to walk ,especially for seniors/empty nesters -- and that includes myself -- who are moving back to downtown in droves.

I recall that around October 2007, when AURA was officially launched, there was a lot of hype in the media -- it seems, hype fueled by the marketing machine of Canderel -- that the design of AURA has been vetted by the 'peers' -- whatever this word means -- and this is the best thing to happen since the invention of American Cherry Pie. At that time, I never read even a single dissenting voice about the design. How come dissent now?

Any comments/thoughts?

For some space, hopefully RoCP I and II will be torn down and redeveloped soon. I mean, one day, the developers have to just step back a say "Yeah, okay, these are pretty atrocious. As an act of goodwill, let's get rid of 'em and put up 70 storey beauties."

Am I just being delusional? I have been sick, and taking a lot of meds this week...

First of all, I would like to declare a possible conflict of interest here. I have purchased a unit on 59th floor of AURA.

Are there any parking lots still available in the vicinity of One Bloor and AURA that could be used to build 70/75 story buildings?

What the effect of these buildings will be at the street level? If sunlight does not reach the ground level or at least for a significant length of time, then, it will be colder than usual for the pedesterians. Further, snow will not melt fast and stretches of street could have thin or black ice shields making it dangerous to walk ,especially for seniors/empty nesters -- and that includes myself -- who are moving back to downtown in droves.

I recall that around October 2007, when AURA was officially launched, there was a lot of hype in the media -- it seems, hype fueled by the marketing machine of Canderel -- that the design of AURA has been vetted by the 'peers' -- whatever this word means -- and this is the best thing to happen since the invention of American Cherry Pie. At that time, I never read even a single dissenting voice about the design. How come dissent now?

Any comments/thoughts?

You don't need parking lots to build. The Five on St. Joseph is being built on an existing building, and in the future there will and should be more. And hopefully 80 to 100 stories high. N.Y. and Chicago are erecting (delayed) hundred story buildings, why not T.O.

Regarding sunlight, the cold temperatures and ice, there's the PATH system. And what do people in Chicago and N.Y. and other northern cities do?

Aura was "peer reviewed" by several international firms, with suggestions on improvements. This was required by city council before they could get the go-ahead to build a 'tall' building. Only in small town Toronto, (in city councilors minds) would builders be required to get this.

Potential sites for tall Aura view blocking buildings:

1)Bay and Gerrard parking lot.

2)NE corner of Yonge and Gerrard (Five St Joseph style with old buildings fronting Yonge St maintained)

3)SE corner of Yonge and Gerrard (facade should be maintained)

4)SW corner of Yonge and Gerrard (facade of E&C maintained, same with buildings just south of it) with highrise above it.

5)POS lowrise building between Y&Alexander and Maitland eastside of Yonge St should go highrise--perhaps two 55s towers here?

6)Across the street pos Sobey's Express building at Y&Breadalbane could go highrise

7)Fugly YMCA should be redeveloped like the one in Vancouver--think Y @base+40-60s condo tower above

8)Mcdonalds etc lowrise on NW corner of Y&Grenville must go highrise

9)RBC etc lowrise on SW corner of Y&Grenville must go highrise; parking lot behind this site on Grenville could use another highrise as well

10)Anything else? Yes, that dumpy hotel or three could be imploded and go even taller. If they can implode the old 4S, anything can happen....

11)Ugly dated office building with cramped LCBO etc at bottom at Yonge south of Wellesley should be torn down for a gorgeous highrise.

I expect all of the above to happen within the next 15 years, as property owners think "hey if Aura could do it so can we." :D

Last edited:
^^ Hopefully, some of those will be office developments. I think it's very short-sighted and a major lost opportunity that all the recent College Park developments have been residential only.

Back