Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

atrium-on-bay.jpg
http://torontopath.com/location/atrium-on-bay/

The lobby at 20 Dundas West is continuing to undergo renovation. All the wall paneling has now been removed and covered in plastic tarp.

It's a damn shame is what it is. The atrium is one of the few remaining untouched pieces of architecture from the 80's, and one of the better ones at that. The loss of the atrium space in particular is going to be a real loss for this city.
Stopped by for a quick photo yesterday. Even just the thought of losing this angers me:
Atrium on Bay by Jack Landau, on Flickr

This is one of the best buildings of the 1980's in the city - but yes - it excels on its interior, not its exterior. The exterior has a poor street presence and isn't particularly attractive. The atrium spaces are what make the building great.

There's quite a few contemptuous 1980s buildings with soaring spaces for tenants and the curious to enjoy.

901 King Street West and 1910 Yonge Street come immediately to mind. Can we make a list?
There's also that condo at Queens Quay and Bathurst (The Atrium on Queens Quay). Worth a peek if you're in the area. I believe it's the only condo of its kind in Toronto.

The Atrium (an early aA building, in fact) does indeed have a beautiful...atrium...but I believe it's not open to the public (could be wrong though). Another private one is in the old Moriyama building at 43 Front Street East. There's also the south east corner of Queens Quay Terminal.

Didn't realize it was an aA building. Yes, it's private, but one can gain access to the lobby if a resident happens to open the door. I saw a unit in the building when I was cond0-hunting a few years back. Very dated decor, and condo fees were high (as you would expect for a building of that age), so I passed.

Back