Toronto Arbo | ?m | 20s | CLC | Planning Partnership

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Plan of subdivision and Zoning on the neighbourhood are in at the AIC (Application Information Centre)

From the District Plan:

1614368228698.png

1614368292136.png

1614368328872.png

1614368369135.png

1614368439339.png

1614368469741.png

1614368496737.png

1614368518008.png

1614368547277.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was eyeing this site in Google Maps a few days ago and wanted to ask about it. Reading my mind, Northern! I would like to see slightly higher buildings along the south eastern Sheppard frontage. Having a park front Keele also seems a little iffy?

I was eyeing this site in Google Maps a few days ago and wanted to ask about it. Reading my mind, Northern! I would like to see slightly higher buildings along the south eastern Sheppard frontage. Having a park front Keele also seems a little iffy?

The location of the Park fronting Keele will largely be dictated by the presence of the existing woodlot (mature trees) they are seeking to preserve.

1614421372800.png

This is what that spot looks like now, at street level, along Keele:

1614421451126.png

As to height along Sheppard, while I think there probably is some room to grow there.

I can see why they laid out the density as they did.

The density peaks in the north-east corner of the site, which is also the closest to the subway station:

1614421790116.png

Last edited:

I understand Alex's complaint, but as usual I think he expresses himself on Twitter in a tone-deaf way likely to make him enemies and get his opinions ignored.

The art of advocacy is persuasion not irritation.

The density that's actually near the subway, can and should be higher, in my opinion.

But his complaints read as

a) They should cut down the entire forest

b) They should have massive density at Sheppard and Keele which is actually a very long walk to the nearest subway station. (1.44km away)

1617750907872.png

I will add here that I think further density at the south-west corner of the site may be plausible; but that depends on:

a) The future of the Downsview lands and whether a new, major east-west street cuts across south of the current Sheppard 'hump'.

b) Substantially better surface transit on Keele and Sheppard, with amenitized transit stops.

c) The inclusion of supermarkets and employment close at hand, both through the Downsview development and the plazas on the west side of Keele.

LOL. Thanks for the tone policing, @Northern Light.

Every big site in the region, and especially in the city of Toronto, should be working to accommodate population growth of 40%. What seems like “unreasonable” density today will not look that way in 20 years.

This entire site is 60+ acres, with great transit, adjacent to a giant park, and a new master-planned mixed use neighbourhood of high quality. If this isn’t a place to concentrate growth, I don’t know what is.

And no, you don’t need to tear down the forest.

LOL. Thanks for the tone policing, @Northern Light.

Every big site in the region, and especially in the city of Toronto, should be working to accommodate population growth of 40%. What seems like “unreasonable” density today will not look that way in 20 years.

This entire site is 60+ acres, with great transit, adjacent to a giant park, and a new master-planned mixed use neighbourhood of high quality. If this isn’t a place to concentrate growth, I don’t know what is.

And no, you don’t need to tear down the forest.

You're welcome; (and no, I didn't miss the sarcasm).

You and I agree on lots of outcomes.

I simply think the way you speak about others and their work is often inflammatory; and that that sets back achieving 'our' goal.

I favour honey over vinegar as the means to persuade people to change.

Vinegar works now and again.

But it tends to exhaust people and acceptance.

But you do you! (you will anyway).

Reactions: rbt
I think that the proposal makes sense for a master-planned neighbourhood in an uncertain market where the proponent must exercise some conservatism as it would be unclear whether the market would absorb the units. This is quite the contrast to the reality in Toronto where we are experiencing a housing shortage, rapid population growth, strong rent and price growth, and rapid absorption of new projects in both the pre-sale and rental markets.

I'm thankful that Alex is voicing the counter-argument through his handles because we have seen time and time again how the City, the province through Metrolinx (Infrastructure Ontario isn't too bad...), and now the Feds here with the Downsview lands are far too tame with their development sites and master-planned communities in urban core areas near major rapid transit stations and corridors. If these lands were sold off to the private sector, I am sure that the applicants would be searching for greater heights and densities.

Now whether the stick works as well as the carrot for winning the hearts of the public and electorate those government agencies are ultimately accountable to, that is another question. It must be said though that the lack of local neighbours and NIMBYs to placate at this site in particular (Downsview lands are effectively a tabula rasa) should be seen as a fantastic opportunity for public agencies to achieve more of their stated housing goals on the site, instead of endless talk and placing onus on the private sector to deliver.

This item is at NYCC today -

NY25.10 - Preliminary Report - Zoning By-law Amendment and Plan of Subdivision Applications - 1350 Sheppard Avenue West (Downsview Lands Secondary Plan, William Baker District)

Unsurprisingly, the "North York Community Preservation Panel" and the "Downsview Lands Community Voice Association" have sent in multiple concerns via Letters and Deputations mostly about "over-development" and a "heritage woodlot". :rolleyes:

This item is at NYCC today -

NY25.10 - Preliminary Report - Zoning By-law Amendment and Plan of Subdivision Applications - 1350 Sheppard Avenue West (Downsview Lands Secondary Plan, William Baker District)

Unsurprisingly, the "North York Community Preservation Panel" and the "Downsview Lands Community Voice Association" have sent in multiple concerns via Letters and Deputations mostly about "over-development" and a "heritage woodlot". :rolleyes:

The heritage woodlot is of value...............but is being preserved in the proposals last I saw.

I don't see any over development.

There is arguably a portion of the site, along Sheppard, that could go taller; but one thing to be sorted is a coordinated change to the road network that will come with redeveloping the airport site.

It's difficult to accurately assess the appropriate scale w/o knowing where exactly all the major roads will end up, and how bus service will be organized.

You're welcome; (and no, I didn't miss the sarcasm).

You and I agree on lots of outcomes.

I simply think the way you speak about others and their work is often inflammatory; and that that sets back achieving 'our' goal.

I favour honey over vinegar as the means to persuade people to change.

Vinegar works now and again.

But it tends to exhaust people and acceptance.

But you do you! (you will anyway).
I think people who are outspoken and saying what everyone else is thinking doesn't mean 'vinegar' though. Especially being a writer, I feel like he should be entitled to voicing his opinions without you calling him out for being too honest. It's not like he's yelling at city of Toronto meetings lol. Imho.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Introducing the New Brand Identity for Arbo Downsview: the Start of a Dynamic Transformation
for a Vibrant Community

Toronto, July 4, 2023 –
Introducing Arbo, a neighbourhood with a new brand identity that’s on the edge of Downsview Park in
Toronto. Once part of the former Canadian Forces Base formerly known as the William Baker
neighbourhood, Arbo is one of five planned neighbourhoods in this area envisioned by Canada Lands
Company.
Canada Lands Company and One Twenty Three West collaborated to create a brand vision for what
this new neighbourhood could stand for. The opportunity was to use the combined power of strategy,
design and creativity to develop an identity and place that is vibrant, lively, and grounded in which the
community can feel connected.
Anyone who lives in greater Toronto knows that green space is sacred. One of the defining
characteristics of this neighbourhood is the preservation of the mature woodlot which became the
inspiration for the development of this brand identity. The name Arbo comes from arbour, which is the
name for a garden structure formed by trees. Inspired by the natural beauty and the flora and fauna that
exists here, Arbo captures the essence of nature and modern city life that can flourish together in
harmony.
This transformation included developing a positioning, name, brand identity and marketing launch plan
that represents Canada Lands Company’s commitment to creating a dynamic and an inclusive
community that welcomes. This also will include an Indigenous expression of Arbo that is currently
being developed through a collaboration with the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation.
Design can play a crucial role in shaping the vision of a neighbourhood when it can appeal to the entire
community that will thrive there. This includes exploring the design that will cater to not only residents of
the community with the homes and community spaces that are built, but also appeal to developers and
business owners, as well as the City of Toronto who is responsible for building recreational spaces that
all come together to create this community.

“It was really important that we design a brand identity system with a strong sense of place,” says
Creative Director Tim Hoffpauir of One Twenty Three West, “one that envisions an inviting
neighbourhood integrated with nature.” The Arbo logo is the focal point of the new brand. The custom
wordmark, is inspired by the paths and roads that weave through the existing woodlot, and functions as
a flexible storytelling device. The ‘O’ represents the open and inclusive nature of the neighbourhood,
and features illustrations of the nature and wildlife that all coexist within the woodlot. The logo is
complemented by a fresh and vibrant colour palette and modern typography.

“The launch of the new Arbo neighbourhood marks an exciting chapter in our journey,” says James
Cox, Vice-President of Real Estate (Central Region). “We are passionate about creating a thriving
community that brings people together, and this identity embodies that. Arbo will be more than just a
place to live; it will be a destination where residents and visitors can enjoy a quality of life, surrounded
by nature.”

03_Arbo_construction hoarding.png

I went to the West District of the Downsview development information session tonight and got a little update on Arbo. As many know it is further along than the areas to the east and is looking at getting infrastructure started soon. The southern section is the first to get going. I asked if architects for individual buildings had been hired to which the answer was not yet.
IMG_6194.png

Don’t know when this happened but website is active:

Back