Toronto Aqualuna at Bayside | 61.87m | 18s | Tridel | 3XN

A few shacking shots from a rocking boat behind scratched plastic! Taken 29 May.

IMG_2935.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

this is looking cool... I wish they would build a lot more of these uniquely shaped buildings on the waterfront. I understand the concept of the angles and balcony layouts to maximize views for every unit. however, in reality for the people living there, they have zero privacy on their balconies. units above and beside them can see 100% what they are doing.
if you look up anything about danish terrace design philosophy, i think that voyeurism is exactly the point. helps foster community. something north american culture insular culture isnt really into.

look up any residential building by BIG, 3XN, etc, they all do this

1717076524074.png

...never thought balconies are real place of privacy. If the ones living beside you can't see what your are doing, then the ones across from you probably can. So it's just this layout makes that more apparent.

...never thought balconies are real place of privacy. If the ones living beside you can't see what your are doing, then the ones across from you probably can. So it's just this layout makes that more apparent.
I do wonder what kind of condo rules will be made regarding the use of partitions, trellises, dividers- any of the stuff used for privacy that folks may want to use.

I'm so thrilled how this copper jewel on the waterfront is turning out... thx to all the UT photographers for the spectacular shots.

Some new rendering views from 3XN and some similar angles that are updated from the older images in the database.

New angle
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside2_modulA-e1717758651504.jpg

3XN

Updated design
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside_modulA-e1717758665177.jpg

3XN
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside_1-1-e1717758637506.jpg

3XN

2 updated rendering aerials (similar to the previous design in the database).

1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_bigimage_2000px-e1717758712305.jpg

3XN
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_bigimage2_2000px-e1717758610937.jpg

3XN

I would definitely put them in charge of some of the high-rise buildings planned for the Villiers Island Community (Lower Don Lands).

Lighthouse
Lighthouse_photo_Adam_Mork_118_H.jpg

3XN

I do wonder what kind of condo rules will be made regarding the use of partitions, trellises, dividers- any of the stuff used for privacy that folks may want to use.
Condo balconies and decks are almost invariable 'exclusive use common elements" and the Condo Act has strict rules that nothing can be attached to these without specific Board permission.

I'm so thrilled how this copper jewel on the waterfront is turning out... thx to all the UT photographers for the spectacular shots.

Some new rendering views from 3XN and some similar angles that are updated from the older images in the database.

New angle
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside2_modulA-e1717758651504.jpg

3XN

Updated design
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside_modulA-e1717758665177.jpg

3XN
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_outside_1-1-e1717758637506.jpg

3XN

2 updated rendering aerials (similar to the previous design in the database).

1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_bigimage_2000px-e1717758712305.jpg

3XN
1254_The-Waves-at-Bayes_bigimage2_2000px-e1717758610937.jpg

3XN

I would definitely put them in charge of some of the high-rise buildings planned for the Villiers Island Community (Lower Don Lands).

Lighthouse
Lighthouse_photo_Adam_Mork_118_H.jpg

3XN

This is a rare case of the renderings not doing the final product justice - it looked more vibrant and textured in real life.

AoD

I'm a huge fan so far because it's better than 99% of condos in this city, but the vertically-oriented fenestration detracts from the flowing horizontal curves. The vertically-oriented windows are giving end users what they want, namely splendid views and lots of light, but the building looks messier and less harmonious as a whole because of them.

I don't often often play fanboy and contact architecture firms but the recent photos of Aqualuna bravely smashing the Value Engineering demons inspired me to email 3XN in Copenhagen.

I attached some wonderful shots by @skycandy @Paclo and @Bibi L to my email.

Here's a screenshot of the email I received from 3XN this morning.... some pretty wonderful kudos (well deserved!) to UrbanToronto photographers. 😍

3XN.jpg

Back