Toronto Aquabella at Bayside | 50.9m | 14s | Tridel | 3XN

Okay: the ODA competition entry is not the winner. A week today we will be our first look at the winning design by Danish firm 3XN.

Ahh crap. I was super jazzed about the ODA proposal. 3XN has some great stuff but also some super boring stuff; here's hoping it's more along the lines, creatively, of one of these (images from their site) rather than of their more generic sort:

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.23.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.24.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.18 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.23.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.23.18 PM.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 2,203
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.24.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.24.45 PM.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,946
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.50 PM.png
    265.7 KB · Views: 2,096
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.43 PM.png
    272.1 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 1.26.18 PM.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 2,133
Every project on the East Bayfronts goes through a bait and switch.

Some teaser renderings are released, everyone gets excited, then the real clunker is released and we go back to the holes whence we came from.
You're right, this does happen over and over and over again. Why is that? What is there to be gained by getting people's hopes up and then bringing forward a 3rd rate development? I just don't see how that is advantageous to anyone.

Wait, what? What bait and switch? Anyone who reads the thread will know that there was none here…

so what I can't figure out is whether
1) you didn't read the thread and you're just shooting your mouth off because that's what you do, or
2) you actually did read the thread and do understand what happened, but have some bizarre agenda to spread generalized and unfounded cynicism because that's what you do.

Which is it?

Wait, what? What bait and switch? Anyone who reads the thread will know that there was none here…

so what I can't figure out is whether
1) you didn't read the thread and you're just shooting your mouth off because that's what you do, or
2) you actually did read the thread and do understand what happened, but have some bizarre agenda to spread generalized and unfounded cynicism because that's what you do.

Which is it?

Calm yourself.

No one accused you of being a pushover, but I do think you just need to relax a bit. There's a difference between politely, if firmly, arguing the merits of an argument, but just don't be a dick about it. You were, I think objectively, being a dick about it.

I think a general rule of thumb it's useful to abide by is critically commenting on the actual aspects of a thought, rather than resorting to lazy personal attacks (i.e. "you're just shooting your mouth of because that's what you do" and then another "because that's what you do" for good measure).

Ahh crap. I was super jazzed about the ODA proposal. 3XN has some great stuff but also some super boring stuff; here's hoping it's more along the lines, creatively, of one of these (images from their site) rather than of their more generic sort:

View attachment 71872

View attachment 71873
View attachment 71874 View attachment 71875 View attachment 71876

I think the first proposal is better than any of these examples. Although the second last one does look pretty cool, I guess we'll see what turns up.

I think the first proposal is better than any of these examples. Although the second last one does look pretty cool, I guess we'll see what turns up.

The second last is the competition proposal (unselected) for the Stockholm Central Library expansion - probably not going to look anything like it but you're right, eager to see what they come up with.

AoD

The second last is the competition proposal (unselected) for the Stockholm Central Library expansion - probably not going to look anything like it but you're right, eager to see what they come up with.

AoD

Yeah, I just pulled those as illustrations of what I thought to be some of the more interesting work on the 3XN site. They do have some duds, too, so hopefully they were given some license (and budget) to do something wonderful here.

Okay, the new dataBase file for 3XN's winning entry in the design competition is now attached to the thread. The design still has to appear at Waterfront Toronto's Design Review Panel, and go through Toronto's planning process. There's no name for the building yet. Marketing is planning for the fall. A front page story with more information is coming later today!

Back