News   Jul 19, 2024
 913     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Toronto and the 2015 Federal Election

Seeing Mulclair become Horwath 2.0, I realized that NDP have little chance in the GTA so Liberals have the best chance against the Harper Party. 308 projects that Liberals will dominate the GTA. My riding (Mississauga-Malton) apparently has 94% to be Liberal. So the choice is obvious.

I thought I would have the dilemma of having to vote for a party or candidate I don't really support just for the sake of ensuring the loss of the Conservatives. But luckily I won't have to after Mulclair showed his true colours, just like Horwath did. So fuck them both.

A few weeks ago I would have said Morneau's chances of winning are quite low. But with the Liberals coming up in Ontario at the expense of the NDP, his changes are very good.

Except that looking at the polls it looks like most of the upswing for the Liberals is at the expense of the Conservatives.

Except that looking at the polls it looks like most of the upswing for the Liberals is at the expense of the Conservatives.
At this point my guess is that the Tories will lose half their seats in Toronto and the rest will split 50/50 lib/ndp

I support Linda McQuaig over Bill Morneau, who, from what I hear is a very nice guy, but his politics are too right-wing, he was president of the C.D. Howe Institute. He would have been a much better candidate in say Don Valley West, but Rob Oliphant was eager to to run again there. I am supporting Liberals elsewhere, despite my NDP leanings.

I knew Nigel Wright personally over a decade ago. I was even invited to a party at his old house. Despite his politics, he is a really nice guy too (and to be fair to Wright, I think he was thrown under the bus by Harper).

I support Linda McQuaig over Bill Morneau, who, from what I hear is a very nice guy, but his politics are too right-wing, he was president of the C.D. Howe Institute. He would have been a much better candidate in say Don Valley West, but Rob Oliphant was eager to to run again there. I am supporting Liberals elsewhere, despite my NDP leanings.

I knew Nigel Wright personally over a decade ago. I was even invited to a party at his old house. Despite his politics, he is a really nice guy too (and to be fair to Wright, I think he was thrown under the bus by Harper).
I think you mean "thrown under the Duff"

Well, nice or not he did make a decision to cover up the criminality of his boss - his sense of ethics is wanting.

AoD

Last edited:
Really interesting to me that the 308/CBC poll tracker is showing such Liberal domination in Toronto. Even the NDP are currently almost wiped out! Where did that come from, so suddenly?

I would wager that the Liberals' stronger support for infrastructure (read: transit) funding is probably the reason. There are a lot of one-issue voters in the GTA focused on transit.

I was shocked that neither party tried to politicise funding for the Relief Line, since downtown is a battleground for the Libs and NDP.

Really interesting to me that the 308/CBC poll tracker is showing such Liberal domination in Toronto. Even the NDP are currently almost wiped out! Where did that come from, so suddenly?
Toronto has traditionally been very red. Trudeau hasn't fallen on his face yet so this could be a sign of the anti PC vote coalescing.

Was it this thread or the general election thread that talked about transit during this election and how it isn't getting much coverage? Well, Mulcair is talking about it now: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/09/12/ndp-pledges-129-billion-to-toronto-region-transit.html

And Adam Vaughan is talking about it (although his card looks like it was printed at Deco):

IMG_0696.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 446
  • IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196
I would wager that the Liberals' stronger support for infrastructure (read: transit) funding is probably the reason. There are a lot of one-issue voters in the GTA focused on transit.

I was shocked that neither party tried to politicise funding for the Relief Line, since downtown is a battleground for the Libs and NDP.

The federal government, whoever wins, will only supply the funding. The decisions on where to spend it would have to be given to the province and municipalities.

Back