669     0 

Toronto and Montreal Expressway Networks Compared

cfloryan

Here
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:
Nice schematics.
I use to always wish Toronto had Montreal's highway system because of the amount of driving I used to do for a previous job. But I've long since realize that putting more cars on the road is not the answer.

Very interesting post.

How old are the maps? The Toronto map is missing the 410 extension, and there should be an additional lane on the QEW between the 403 and 403 with the new HOV lane.

Shon, those who know Hamilton will note the glaring omission of the Red Hill Expressway, and those who know Montreal will note that the new Highway 25 bridge over Riviere des Prairies is not shown, probably because it is quite recent.

The maps have some usefulness, but unfortunately to me, they don't show the unacceptable poor condition of some of the Montreal highways, which need major work. It's an area in which Toronto has a better track record than Montreal. Possibly it should be taken into account in a recent series of posts in another thread, where we compared Montreal to Toronto, generally with Toronto coming out on the short end of the comparisons!

Great map.
Vanouver would have 3 lines and only 13km of 6 lane............................pathetic.

Nice schematics.
I use to always wish Toronto had Montreal's highway system because of the amount of driving I used to do for a previous job. But I've long since realize that putting more cars on the road is not the answer.

While I don't think we need a highway network as large as Montreal's, it is worth noting that the city remains very pedestrian friendly. I think we would be better off with more highways (or at least higher order roadways) but are less wide.

Very interesting post.

How old are the maps? The Toronto map is missing the 410 extension, and there should be an additional lane on the QEW between the 403 and 403 with the new HOV lane.

The maps are from late 2006 using Google Earth data which probably lags by 1-3 years. I'm aware of the omissions and I'll probably eventually update them.

And here's Vancouver. It's up to date since there haven't been any new highway additions in the last few years. Once the new port Mann Bridge opens the section of Trans Canada between Surrey and New Westminster will be 4 or 5 lanes, I think.

Vancouver Expressways

Last edited:
Montreal's autoroute system isn't as great as the maps make it seems. A lot of gaps in the network, and a lot of bottlenecks resulting in a lot of congestion, even outside rush hour.

Back