Toronto AGO: Dani Reiss Modern and Contemporary Gallery | 48.35m | 6s | AGO | Diamond Schmitt

I think demolishing is too much, but I would say that perhaps there is room for facadism and a new multi-level gallery behind the Victorians running the length of Dundas. Perhaps even some of the small retail spaces can be retained in a new design, just to avoid turning Dundas into an institutional tunnel.

I would say that the biggest hurdle is bridging/tunnelling Dundas + property costs.

For this project though it boggles the mind how AGO and OCADU weren't able to come to an agreement over rebuilding the north wing of OCAD's building combined with a gallery expansion Surely it would have been better than squeezing a gallery tower in that loading bay?
Personally, I'd rather see the AGO take out the Village By The Grange.
I think all the Victorian to WW1 houses along Dundas provide a wonderful fine-grained counterpoint to the AGO, and are especially delightful when they're viewed from inside the AGO's big front 'canoe room'. It's great looking at all the Group Of Sevens, plus David Milne's paintings, then walking into that room and seeing their referents right across the street.
The Village By The Grange has hardly been a steady delight since it went up. Aside from the student - friendly cafeteria areas, I don't think it would be too missed.

Last edited:

Back