Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Closeups of Marylin's and Joe's "heads".

P8153942-1.jpg
P8153943-1.jpg
P8153922-1.jpg

Attachments

• P8153942-1.jpg
    P8153942-1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 823
  • P8153943-1.jpg
    P8153943-1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 784
  • P8153922-1.jpg
    P8153922-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 798
Closeups of Marylin's and Joe's "heads".
Joe?

Did they end up putting the private lounge in one of the floors like they were supposed to?
50 Absolute has a lounge on the 48th floor, on the west side facing Square One. It's not open for use yet, but close - I saw the whole floor lit up one night a couple of weeks ago and it was bar/lounge type lighting with the LEDs used in the common areas, not construction type lighting.

It's been "close" for 6 months, though.

Did they end up putting the private lounge in one of the floors like they were supposed to?

Like Marko mentioned, the lounge on the 48th floor is still closed but slowly progressing. I visited in August and they were still working on dry wall. I took a few pics last night (sorry not the best shots). Too bad the lounge isn't facing the east. I saw a unit on the 28th floor with amazing views of Toronto. Imagine the views from the 48th! Anybody know what the status is of the lounge in 60?

Oh, and I heard that some locals call the towers Marylin and Joe DiMaggio. Not sure which tower is who though. lol

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 707
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 719
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 705
I'm on 31 and face east towards Toronto and yes, the view is good. I don't know that it would be any better from 48 TBH, since my view is nicely framed by 70, 80 and 90 with unobstructed views at downtown Toronto.

I know DiMaggio was one of Marylin's husbands, but I have never heard of the buildings being referred to that way. I've heard Marylin and Ken - as dumb as that is - but never Joe. It's usually just the "Marylin Buildings".

As to which is which, 60 was always the Marylin since it originally had far more feminine curves. The predictable twist the changed the design to removed a lot of the organic sexiness. Making a second shorter building and referring to it as the male companion never sounded right, but it is what it is.

I've never once called them anything but Absolute World. I hate that Marilyn moniker they got.
If the topic of where I live comes up, I call them either Absolute World or the Absolute buildings. If that draws a blank then I say the curvy buildings across from Square One and the reply is pretty much always "Ohh, the Marylin Buildings!", often followed by the person inviting themselves over.

The podium facing Hurontario isn't a perfect fit with the towers and the new accent pieces don't help or hurt IMO, if anything it's nice to have the added detail since the street is on the simple/vacant side at the moment. What bugs me to no end is the crap they built up on the Burnhamthorpe side to fill in the area butting up against the western most townhouse. I could understand if they didn't want to build an actual structure that they didn't want that empty wall looking over the corner, but what the hell were they thinking? What they put there doesn't match with the townhouses, nor does it match with the towers. The color and proportions don't "go" with anything and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just awful.

Since it was made after-the-fact, they should have - at minimum - kept the form, scale and color of the townhouses - like an extension.

If the topic of where I live comes up, I call them either Absolute World or the Absolute buildings. If that draws a blank then I say the curvy buildings across from Square One and the reply is pretty much always "Ohh, the Marylin Buildings!", often followed by the person inviting themselves over.

The podium facing Hurontario isn't a perfect fit with the towers and the new accent pieces don't help or hurt IMO, if anything it's nice to have the added detail since the street is on the simple/vacant side at the moment. What bugs me to no end is the crap they built up on the Burnhamthorpe side to fill in the area butting up against the western most townhouse. I could understand if they didn't want to build an actual structure that they didn't want that empty wall looking over the corner, but what the hell were they thinking? What they put there doesn't match with the townhouses, nor does it match with the towers. The color and proportions don't "go" with anything and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Just awful.

Since it was made after-the-fact, they should have - at minimum - kept the form, scale and color of the townhouses - like an extension.

I usually call them the Absolute Towers, but just like you, whenever I tell people thats where I live they always reply with "Oh yes, the Marylin Monroe building". I'm not loving the accent pieces on the podium, but I don't think they're horrible either. Although I may feel differently if I was living in one of those units!

I'm not loving the accent pieces on the podium, but I don't think they're horrible either. Although I may feel differently if I was living in one of those units!
The way they're constructed, the front half of the pans could have been made from translucent polycarb or acrylic, and these could have been illuminated.

That would have looked good.

Back