Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

My point was having a competition, not that we need architects from the rest of the world. And I don't think foreign architects are automatically better. It's interesting that you point out Libeskind, B.I.G., Snohetta etc. Do you think they have better designs, internationally speaking?

Toronto's flirtations with the world beyond our borders have had varying degrees of success, but it's usually positive, and occasionally superlative, and often injects some variety into the city that helps challenge the locals a little. I admit I get excited when I hear that a major international name will be working here.

June 14
7394933438_a951e684c1_b.jpg

7394931032_7f2747b1a9_b.jpg

I wonder how many people fly into toronto and think that is the city there.... but then wonder where the CN tower is lol. I think missisauga can claim the title for the largest skyline of any suburb in the western world!

Over the past 15 years or so, I've driven into downtown TO with friends and relatives who all thought that Mississauga's downtown was actually downtown TO... After a while I stopped pointing things out and let them experience it naturally... Many out-of-towners make that assumption... It's part of the GTA's appeal IMO... A really cool part... I think it actually blows a lot of people away...

I wonder how many people fly into toronto and think that is the city there.... but then wonder where the CN tower is lol. I think missisauga can claim the title for the largest skyline of any suburb in the western world!

What about Jersey City? Nah nevermind, I think you are probably right, Jersey city has one really tall building though, but has less buildings altogether.

Last edited:
Los Angeles as a suburb yes.(as we all know Los Angeles is one Big Suburb) But if Los Angeles is a city no. -- Mississauga has got to be the largest concentration of highrises in a suburban area on the continent.

Los Angeles as a suburb yes.(as we all know Los Angeles is one Big Suburb) But if Los Angeles is a city no. -- Mississauga has got to be the largest concentration of highrises in a suburban area on the continent.

Well, for suburban areas, Scarborough (~250), North York (400+) and Etobicoke (~200) all still have more high-rises than Mississauga (~250) per capita. Mississauga has almost caught up to Scarborough at least.

And of course, Jersey City would not count even if it had more high-rises since it is neither a suburb nor suburban.

What about Los Angeles?

while los angeles is very suburban, it is the central core of a city larger than the GTHA. it is not a suburb, even if it is suburban in a car dependant sort of way. and isn't missisuaga somewhere around 700k people? or is that peel region as a whole?

And of course, Jersey City would not count even if it had more high-rises since it is neither a suburb nor suburban.

Well i agree that it is not a suburb in the traditional official meaning of the word suburb, but it terms of reality, it exists as a suburb to Manhatten, in the sense that people commute to Manhatten from it to work on a mass scale. Its the same way that every borough and city or town in the tri state area are suburbs to Manhatten. Very similar to Mississauga being its own city really, but also known as a suburb to Manhatten, although I agree in terms of its history it was more its own entity than mississauga was until recently. Newark on the other hand...

while los angeles is very suburban, it is the central core of a city larger than the GTHA. it is not a suburb, even if it is suburban in a car dependant sort of way. and isn't missisuaga somewhere around 700k people? or is that peel region as a whole?

Mississauga is around 715,000. Peel is around 1,300,000.

Well i agree that it is not a suburb in the traditional official meaning of the word suburb, but it terms of reality, it exists as a suburb to Manhatten, in the sense that people commute to Manhatten from it to work on a mass scale. Its the same way that every borough and city or town in the tri state area are suburbs to Manhatten. Very similar to Mississauga being its own city really, but also known as a suburb to Manhatten, although I agree in terms of its history it was more its own entity than mississauga was until recently. Newark on the other hand...

Think of Westmount, which is separate from Montreal. Neither suburb nor suburban, but not its own city either. It's a part of the inner city, separated by an arbitrary boundary. I think Jersey City is the same way. I mean, it's right across the river from Manhattan, same with Hoboken, Union City, etc. Referring to these sorts of places as suburbs doesn't seem right.

As far as suburban skylines go, I find Burnaby to be interesting as the City essentially has 4 separate skylines around the 4 Town Centres (Brentwood, Metrotown, Lougheed, and Edmonds). There are good, albeit distant, views of them to the north while driving along Hwy 91 through Richmond. This Google Street View from the Alex Fraser Bridge shows Lougheed, Edmonds, and Metrotown in the distance, and New West for added measure. Moving further west along 91 Brentwood will come into view in the distance. These skylines will continue to grow as more condos and some offices go up around these Town Centres with ever increasing building heights (~50 storeys around Brentwood is proposed I believe).

Back