Toronto 985 Woodbine | 121.5m | 35s | Choice Properties | superkül

I'm gonna be a bit nimby-tastic. I don't know, this seems really excessive given the context of the neighbourhood. I do live nearby. I am all for this site being redeveloped, but I feel I'm within reasonable bounds by saying the height and massing do not inspire confidence. Then again, I felt everything north of Montgomery at Yonge and Eglinton should be midrise scaled at most.

I won't say that this will destroy the hood, because eventually I would get used to its....girth I guess.

I feel the building kitty corner to this one is pretty appropriate, with scaling down to 6-8 storeys all along Danforth in both directions. I get density peaks on stations, but this seems unnecessarily dense.

I also have a proposal next to my house (well, two houses over) for 6-7 stories, and I went to the community meeting in support of it when I first arrived here in 2019, so I am pro-development. If this were with several set backs (original 15s design but also like not THAT specific design) or had a nicer design altogether (that carried to execution) I might have a different mindset.

EDIT: ohhh, this dense slab of hot cheap siding is to help make up for the loss of income from Loblaws given the price-inflating and subsequent boycott! Oh Galen, stop being such a tight ass!

I'm gonna be a bit nimby-tastic. I don't know, this seems really excessive given the context of the neighbourhood. I do live nearby. I am all for this site being redeveloped, but I feel I'm within reasonable bounds by saying the height and massing do not inspire confidence. Then again, I felt everything north of Montgomery at Yonge and Eglinton should be midrise scaled at most.

I won't say that this will destroy the hood, because eventually I would get used to its....girth I guess.

I feel the building kitty corner to this one is pretty appropriate, with scaling down to 6-8 storeys all along Danforth in both directions. I get density peaks on stations, but this seems unnecessarily dense.

I also have a proposal next to my house (well, two houses over) for 6-7 stories, and I went to the community meeting in support of it when I first arrived here in 2019, so I am pro-development. If this were with several set backs (original 15s design but also like not THAT specific design) or had a nicer design altogether (that carried to execution) I might have a different mindset.

Fair.

As someone living just a bit east of you though, do consider how you already get a 40% discount on proposed heights (well in excess of 50s at Main!)

But I agree w/your point on setbacks and said so in my post up thread, that I think even a modest setback at the 10th floor wrapping the Woodbine and Danforth frontages would help immensely in making the proposal seem a bit more human-scaled.

I also, of course, noted ( err harped) on the need to expand Woodbine Station, as I don't see how you can pile a few thousand more riders into an already cramped, overcrowded station.

Last edited:
One of the issues developers face along Danforth, outside these assembled and larger sites, is a severe lack of depth to most properties.

The solution, I imagine, might lie in the liberalizing of the OP doctrine, whereby a few houses south of Danforth could find an easier path to gentle density. Then you might have step downs, going deeper south and north of Danforth in to the "neighbourhoods' OPD, but on the plus side you would get terraces on the developments which would have nice-ish views south to the lake - and it would make most blocks along Danforth more financially feasible for development.

Back