Toronto 931 Yonge | 106m | 33s | CreateTO | Zeidler

I think I am going way out on a limb here so cut me off if so. My question would be why there is not more co-op housing being encouraged? Perhaps this site is too small? A friend advocates for this type of housing as a far more stable economic environment for a mixed neighbourhood of geared to income housing.

I think I am going way out on a limb here so cut me off if so. My question would be why there is not more co-op housing being encouraged? Perhaps this site is too small? A friend advocates for this type of housing as a far more stable economic environment for a mixed neighbourhood of geared to income housing.

Nothing out there about it, perfectly fine question. I don't have a ready answer except to say CreateTO has not pursued that option on any of its sites yet so far as I know.

The MATH for new Co-op builds in central Toronto is very hard without a serious commitment of net new Federal dollars to these projects.

CreateTO - and the City need to work within the parameters of what Ottawa is currently interested in funding (at Speed & at Scale)... and that's not really a Co-op model.

The MATH for new Co-op builds in central Toronto is very hard without a serious commitment of net new Federal dollars to these projects.

CreateTO - and the City need to work within the parameters of what Ottawa is currently interested in funding (at Speed & at Scale)... and that's not really a Co-op model.

Thank you for this information. I do not know nearly enough to make a comment. But it is once again curious (not really any more) that the government is not announcing fully funded projects. That would give us some clues as to how the program is progressing.

Pre-Graffiti Signage…
89D442AD-6D7D-43D6-813F-A0CDCF4D0015.jpeg
F8B6DD49-854A-4044-BC80-29D01006E845.jpeg

95980A1C-2CC4-4335-9D5C-4D39309DA178.jpeg

Attachments

• C8E198EF-BF45-4A31-A56C-4992482756B4.jpeg
    C8E198EF-BF45-4A31-A56C-4992482756B4.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
"CreateTO is proposing to redevelop the City-owned office building at 931 Yonge St into a residential development w/ affordable housing. Join us on March 22 - for a virtual community meeting to learn more about this ModernTO site."

931 Yonge Street - Community Consultation​

Wednesday, March 22, 2023
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM

The City has received a Zoning By-law Amendment application to allow for the construction of a 21-storey (66 metres excluding the mechanical penthouse) residential building containing 165 dwelling units.

I think I'm about to make someone named @HousingNowTO happy.

Not that I did anything, LOL, but I bring news..............

This building has gotten bigger..............a lot bigger....

From 21s to 32s an increase of 11s.

Now 250 units. an increase of 85 units or just over 50%

@Art Tsai will wish to make note of the changes.

New Renders:

1700592627543.png

1700593218075.png

In addition to the changes I noted above, the following is from the Planning Rational Report - addendum:

1700592716524.png

1700593030477.png

The new Ground Floor Plan also reflects the addition of a street tree to the Yonge frontage:

1700592882091.png

1700593064640.png

New renderings updated to the database. The overall storey count increased from 21- storey to 32 storey. Total height increased from 73.00m to 106.00m. Finally, the total unit count changed from 165 units to 250 units. Lastly, the total bike parking increased from 171 bike parking to 280 bike parking.

Rendering taken from the architectural plan via rezoning submission

New Renders:

View attachment 521980

View attachment 521986

In addition to the changes I noted above, the following is from the Planning Rational Report - addendum:

View attachment 521981

View attachment 521984

The new Ground Floor Plan also reflects the addition of a street tree to the Yonge frontage:

View attachment 521982

View attachment 521985
Already knew that it was happening, but glad to see that it is now "official" in the AIC.

Sometimes, you just need to "Clearly visualize the Opportunities & the Choices" in the public-domain to help the City re-assess it's Priorities...

1700598056224.png

Agile Form helped our volunteers to assess shadow-impacts on the Park(s) at possible 25, 30 & 35-Storey options for 931 YONGE STREET.

MARCH 2023 - https://x.com/HousingNowTO/status/1638659192415219712

New Renders:

View attachment 521980

View attachment 521986

View attachment 521981

View attachment 521984

View attachment 521982

View attachment 521985
@HousingNowTO

I attended the virtual public consultation hearing. The biggest concern people had with this proposal was the lacking amount of affordable housing i mean it's kinda of unusual to be condominium units.

Many raise the concern that there will be too much congestion on Aylmer Avenue LOL!

The loading dock also was a hot topic for consultation due to people complaining there would be no space for mail trucks to drop off amazon deliveries.

@HousingNowTO

I attended the virtual public consultation hearing. The biggest concern people had with this proposal was the lacking amount of affordable housing i mean it's kinda of unusual to be condominium units.

That is unorthodox to be sure.

Many raise the concern that there will be too much congestion on Aylmer Avenue LOL!

That's not as silly as you think. There can be quite a back up in rush hours, both east and west of Yonge. I don't think it's a reason not to build affordable housing, but it's a fair concern to raise.

The loading dock also was a hot topic for consultation due to people complaining there would be no space for mail trucks to drop off amazon deliveries.

Have I mentioned my desire to ban Amazon? LOL Really, too many people order too much junk.

Last edited:
@HousingNowTO

It's a nice City-owned site near transit located in the home riding of Canada's Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister --- if the Feds want to get back into the "Affordable Rental" game in any serious way on the funding side, then here is a perfect 250-unit project for Minister Freeland to throw her "unlimited support" behind...

Location, Location, Location...

That is unorthodox to be sure.

That's not as silly as you think. There can be quite a back up in rush hours, both east and west of Yonge. I don't think it's a reason not to build affordable housing, but it's a fair concern to raise.

Have I mentioned my desire to ban Amazon? LOL Really, too many people order too much junk.

Yes, congestion on Yonge street is a major concern; however, reducing the parking say from 2 to 0 would be super beneficial to not add more personal vehicles on the road. Given this site is directly next to a bus stop and a TTC stop...it would help reduce traffic.

I mean you cannot ban Amazon...they have 2-day free shipping and has everything on demand it will be difficult to get consumer to go shop local and pay a bit extra. Amazon's junk buying habit is to keep people hooked into signing up for Amazon's ecosystem of service. eg Alexa, Amazon Prime, Ring, and amazon owned companies.

Yes, congestion on Yonge street is a major concern; however, reducing the parking say from 2 to 0 would be super beneficial to not add more personal vehicles on the road. Given this site is directly next to a bus stop and a TTC stop...it would help reduce traffic.

Congestion on Yonge is arguably less of an issue, the back ups on Alymer can be several blocks long. At 2 parking spaces, I assure you Amazon and Uber are the more likely traffic culprits than 2 households.

I mean you cannot ban Amazon...they have 2-day free shipping and has everything on demand it will be difficult to get consumer to go shop local and pay a bit extra. Amazon's junk buying habit is to keep people hooked into signing up for Amazon's ecosystem of service. eg Alexa, Amazon Prime, Ring, and amazon owned companies.

LOL; in the world in which Canada is renamed the Northern Light Autocracy, I can and would ban Amazon.

Back in the real world, it is actually legally feasible, but no, not at all realistic.

Back