Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

It still amazes me how quickly downtown drops off to the east. 88 Scott will help the transition a bit. We could use a few more 40-60 storey buildings between Yonge and Jarvis.
That sheer wall of building was actually one of the things I always loved most about the eastern view.

Finally this building is starting to peak through above the buildings on the east side of it. Does anyone have an idea when this building will top out ?

Starting to peek out. From yesterday.

IMG_7462.JPG
IMG_7463.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7462.JPG
    IMG_7462.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 978
  • IMG_7463.JPG
    IMG_7463.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 951
Has any city lost more buildings -- whether by fire or demolition -- than Toronto (in proportion to the scope of its building stock)?

Has any city lost more buildings -- whether by fire or demolition -- than Toronto (in proportion to the scope of its building stock)?
In North America, Chicago stands out (fire).
Many cities were almost completely destroyed in WWII, including Valletta in Malta and Warsaw in Poland

I can't give a precise answer but I'd argue probably not. Internationally I imagine some of the bombed out cities in Europe and Asia, as well as heavily redeveloped ones (especially in East Asia) have lost virtually all their pre-WWII buildings in some areas. In North America I'd say Toronto is still pretty average (though I'm also gauging from my own perception, so take this with a grain of salt). Detroit has been massacred, large parts of Manhattan have been redeveloped (even if a good deal of the original stock does remain, look at the Lower East Side or the other housing projects that clear cut whole swathes of the city) and I've even seen the Montreal forumers (on SSP and Mtlurb) bemoan how much Montreal lost. Halifax is another Canadian city that has seen a lot of it's pre-WWII buildings destroyed too, as has Hamilton. And finally, from my own perspective, I'd argue Guelph is a pretty sad example of old buildings being destroyed to "modernize" the downtown (or from fires). The loss of the Carnegie Library, the YMCA building and the Post Office (as well as Quebec Street and St. George's Square) did a lot to destroy downtown Guelph and have left it a hulk of its former self. The fact it's as vibrant as it is is actually really impressive considering how much of it was destroyed over the years.

I really doubt the statement that Toronto has lost more than its share of building from time period ... is really true !

Back