Toronto 88 Scott Street | 203.9m | 58s | Concert | P + S / IBI

Although 10 CASA's in a row would be incredible, there's more to attractive vertical suburbs than glass modernism. On a site like 88 Scott, something like BKL's proposal for 592 Sherbourne or aA's "Art Shoppe Condos" would've been an improvement over this "template" design. By VanCan I mean 88 Scott has very typical "cheesy" details found on your typical West Coast condo tower--bizarre nods to East Coast deco (aka NYC) meets random but not really artistically arranged boxes "designed" by the marketing department to sell views. Yawn.

Thanks for sharing. Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of that permit? I thought the building was already approved.
Planning approval means the developer has been given permission for a building with the basic attributes of height, overall size (floorspace), setbacks from the property line, and usage (i,e. residential, commercial, mixed use, etc.). In order to actually proceed with the building, building permits are required - the developer has to submit the detailed construction drawings and specifications to be reviewed by the city for adherence to the all the applicable building codes. Once the review has been completed, including addressing any questions or concerns raised by the permit inspectors, and making any changes or corrections as required, the construction permits are issued, and the building can be built.

In order to save some time, it is possible to submit an application for partial permits - in this case for shoring (and I would suspect excavation), which once the permit was issued, would allow the shoring and excavation activities to proceed while the balance of the permit review process is ongoing.

One example - 621 King Street West (Thompson Residences) - the developer filed for shoring and excavation permits while appealing to the OMB to add additional floors to the building. Construction activities started based on the shoring and excavation permits (I believe the footings and foundation as well) before the final planning approvals for the additional floors were received from the OMB.

Planning approval means the developer has been given permission for a building with the basic attributes of height, overall size (floorspace), setbacks from the property line, and usage (i,e. residential, commercial, mixed use, etc.). In order to actually proceed with the building, building permits are required - the developer has to submit the detailed construction drawings and specifications to be reviewed by the city for adherence to the all the applicable building codes. Once the review has been completed, including addressing any questions or concerns raised by the permit inspectors, and making any changes or corrections as required, the construction permits are issued, and the building can be built.

In order to save some time, it is possible to submit an application for partial permits - in this case for shoring (and I would suspect excavation), which once the permit was issued, would allow the shoring and excavation activities to proceed while the balance of the permit review process is ongoing.

One example - 621 King Street West (Thompson Residences) - the developer filed for shoring and excavation permits while appealing to the OMB to add additional floors to the building. Construction activities started based on the shoring and excavation permits (I believe the footings and foundation as well) before the final planning approvals for the additional floors were received from the OMB.

Thanks for the informative response. I learned something new today - appreciate it.

I stopped reading after this part. Please troll elsewhere. Thanks.

As for the permit, How can they possibly start shoring when they haven't demolished the old building? That was the plan, wasn't it?

You're right, that is the plan. Demolition is supposed to start this month, I guess they're planning ahead with the permit.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Forgive my ignorance but what's the purpose of that permit? I thought the building was already approved.

The approval process is long, complicated and fillled with various permits. The first thing needed is to make a development application and get planning permission (which 88 Scott has), then you (usually) need a demolition permit for the building already on the site then you need lots of actual (detailed) building permits and that's where 88 Scott is now.

FYI you can loook at Development applications at http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init

See the final agreements on the City Council site at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisionBodyList.do?function=prepareDisplayDBList

and look at Permits at: http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/setup.do?action=init

It's worth remembering that the City uses the "correct" (current) civic address. In the case of 88 Scott that's actually 40 Scott. I assume that when the building is finished the address will be officially changed.

Last edited:
Although 10 CASA's in a row would be incredible, there's more to attractive vertical suburbs than glass modernism. On a site like 88 Scott, something like BKL's proposal for 592 Sherbourne or aA's "Art Shoppe Condos" would've been an improvement over this "template" design. By VanCan I mean 88 Scott has very typical "cheesy" details found on your typical West Coast condo tower--bizarre nods to East Coast deco (aka NYC) meets random but not really artistically arranged boxes "designed" by the marketing department to sell views. Yawn.

Once again, please name and, ideally, provide a photo of a Vancouver condo that looks like 88 Scott. If 88 Scott has "very typical 'cheesy' details" as you claim, you should not have any difficulty do this.

It happens that I took the time to look at all the drawings of Vancouver structures over 100 m tall that appear on www.skyscraperpage.com. Only a handful have setbacks and none of them particularly look like 88 Scott to me. Nor do the Vancouver condos I know, including the one I live in, resemble 88 Scott. And if one takes scale into account, there is nothing like 88 Scott, which would be the tallest structure in this city. And what about those "monstrous carbuncles" as one poster called them. Are there lots of those in Vancouver?

If you duck the challenge again, I guess we will have to think that you are merely venting prejudice the way a leaky teakettle loses steam...and that it's mostly hot air.

You're right, that is the plan. Demolition is supposed to start this month, I guess they're planning ahead with the permit.

Yes - that is the plan. The response regarding the difference between planning approvals versus construction permits was intended to address the issue raised by the earlier posting as to the difference between planning approval versus the application for construction shoring permit. My understanding from the 88 Scott Street Sales Office staff was that demolition was supposed to start in February - not sure if it has yet, or whether it may be that interior demolition activities may already be underway, without being overtly visible at this point.

Once again, please name and, ideally, provide a photo of a Vancouver condo that looks like 88 Scott. If 88 Scott has "very typical 'cheesy' details" as you claim, you should not have any difficulty do this.

Some forum members just post dogmatic comments to get an emotional reaction from others. Their forceful posts about "truth" and "expert" opinion is only that: an opinion. As Madonna says, "provocative people get noticed." Some of us members actually live in, promote, and love high-rise condo apts and have a vested interest in having a thriving downtown core. That takes new residents in new buildings who stay and who don't empty out of the city at 5 p.m. This is an amazing location to fill with more residents.

I have never been to Vancouver (would love to see it one day!), so I can't say if 88 Scott is like anything there. At 58 stories, I can't imagine. One thing I feel is that, this little corner of Scott and Wellington is going to look fantastic once this is completed. I think that Concert is top-notch, so I'm fully expecting a stunning final product here.

I have never been to Vancouver (would love to see it one day!), so I can't say if 88 Scott is like anything there. At 58 stories, I can't imagine.

It isn't However, some members here act as if Vancouver is some horrible place. Go visit yourself, and you'll quickly discover how laughable that notion is. While the architecture isn't exactly world class, Vancouver is probably one of the best planned cities on earth. It's incredibly dense for a place that saw almost no development until cars became the norm. It has a lively downtown core, a well planned mass transit system, much fewer parking lots than Toronto, and vibrant commercial streets. I'm not sure where the hate for Vancouver comes from, but if I had to guess, I would say that a lot of it is probably related to jealousy. Honestly, even Vancouver's architecture (which is usually the first thing detractors mention) is not bad at all. It isn't world class, like I said earlier, but it isn't bad at all either. In fact, the one and only thing that I personally dislike about Vancouver is the severe abuse of height restrictions.

I think this building looks good as per the rendering, and as always it comes down to materials. I don't mind the carbuncles or whatever they are being called. I think its a break from the norm, and I'm digging that at the least.

Back