Toronto 88 Bathurst | 68.3m | 17s | Hines | 3XN

I saw this building yesterday and was mostly surprised by the railing on the balconies….
While this is refreshingly different, I wonder if it will get a bit messy when people start putting those privacy screens (or fake ivy panels) on them. You see a lot of them at older apartments.
Would condo board standardize these screens? Or would it actually look very vibrant with different styles of screens covering the large building facade?
Kinda wish the rendering was done with a more lived in look rather than the sterile ‘just moved in’ style.
1728187286009.jpeg

I'm not sure why metal railings would prompt these "privacy" coverings while glass balconies would not? Clear glass balconies are all over this city.

The level of hyperbole about this building! It is hilarious to see people frothing over an atypical condo that has an above-average attention to details and texture, but is not particularly mold-breaking. No wonder our city struggles to create anything unique or different when people see metal railings and start going, "It's a prison!!!"

Also, the idea that slab buildings = oppressive. I've lived in slab buildings, and I didn't feel oppressed when I was in it or I when I stood next to them. I don't even know what that feeling would entail. How do buildings oppress people? This feels like some urbanism cliche that has been bandied around for so long that people think it's true but it has no actual substance.

There's more privacy with those railings than one would find with clear glassed railings anyday. And if one wants privacy here, go indoors and draw the blinds.

Back