Toronto 83 Bloor West | 260.25m | 77s | Parallax | Arcadis

Considering the location and height you'd expect higher quality architecture. this looks like a church st condo.

Having an active permit (of any type), regardless of whether you'll act on it, opens many doors with the City...

Maybe permits should be a bit more progressive then. Or priced according to means and scale. I mean if dev charges are being refunded (aka extra profits for developers and truly nothing else), perhaps the city should consider ensuring infrastructure at least around each development, is paid by those who profit most of all during these past 20 or so years.

It would be really refreshing to see some of these developers actually care a bit about the public realm near their developments. I know there isn't much incentive, which is why it is too bad development charges were attacked by Ford. Perhaps through permits at least you could recoup a bit of this. I'm really just spitballing here. The fact is our public realm is kind of embarrassing most of the time. I can tell you we certainly no longer deserve the moniker New York built by the Swiss.

I know there is a community improvement tax and an art tax and a sidewalk rebuild tax to the chosen sidewalk design from the city's sidewalk design manual. Developers aren't paying for it. The financiers aren't paying it. The investors buying the units are.

It's everything between new developments that falling apart. There's also a lack of space for soft landscaping with the narrowness of Toronto's boulevard and new development built to extreme densities.

Midtown Manhattan designed by a Banana Republic.

SPA resubmission with the following changes:
  • Storeys decreased from 82 to 77
  • Height decreased from 269.05 to 260.25m
  • Total residential units decreased from 1147 to 1081
  • Total vehicular parking decreased from 116 to 84
  • Total bicycle parking decreased from 1377 to 1297
Updated rendering:
PLN - Architectural Plans - 3. Architectural Plans_83-95A Bloor Street West_compressed-2.jpg

52-77 are served by *3* elevators?

ICE 3 coming at us fast. What a joke.
Personally I would nominate 8 Elm as ICE 3, or perhaps Dundas Square Gardens. Both are / will be messes of buildings.

Also: This uses a "sky lobby". So going from you unit to your parking space and out of the building? It looks like this:

1. Wait for one of 3 elevators to move you from your unit on level 67 to level 4.
2. Walk over to "sky lobby" elevators. Wait for one of three elevators. Take to grade.
2. Walk back to the main elevator bank, which is now a parking level shuttle elevator. Take one of two elevators down to your parking level.
3. Get in your car, drive to the car elevator, and take up to grade.

Probably 10 minutes of travel just to get your car out of the garage, and four elevators. Amazing!

I will say overall that there are 8 elevators servicing the residential floors, which isn't tooo bad for 1,000 units. They are split service into 3 sections too, which should help. I'm more complaining here about the sky lobby making high travel times to get to grade.

Last edited:
Very true, yes. Massey Tower is pretty terrible as well (4 cabs for 699 units, a constantly infirm automated parking system, etc.). The crowning achievement (and it's not even close) is going to be Concord Sky though. That thing is going to get people killed...

Very true, yes. Massey Tower is pretty terrible as well (4 cabs for 699 units, a constantly infirm automated parking system, etc.). The crowning achievement (and it's not even close) is going to be Concord Sky though. That thing is going to get people killed...
Looking at those plans, it's 11 cabs for 1,400 units, or 128 units/cab. Not great but certainly not awful. Is there a specific concern?

*9 cabs* for 1423 units.

View attachment 575491

And it's an 85 storey student res. It's going to be an absolute, unmitigated, disaster.
there are two extra cabs for the podium levels:

sky.png

Agreed on the demographic makeup of the building though, and it'll probably be densely populated with students crammed in to the units too.

Back