Toronto 822-838 Richmond Street West | 28.59m | 8s | Hullmark | Atelier Barda architecture

that new setback on the 5th floor is unfortunate and unnecessary.

Agreed.

I think everyone here knows that I lean towards to lower street walls, and more generous setbacks to create the 'illusion' of human scale and/or fitting it with area context as part both
good design, in many cases, but also something that is pleasing compromise to many uncomfortable with significant density.

But not this time.

This was perfectly reasonable in scale before, this was already contextually appropriate.

This setback represents a needless step backwards here.

Sigh.

Here's the rationale from the Cover Letter:

1692649590020.png

1692649629565.png

Further reading of the letter suggests to me that the streetwall reduction was directly in response to 'concerns' from Planning.

*shakes head *

To me there are so many street walls that really quite overbearing at six, seven and eight storeys, particularly when located along traditional mainstreet with buildings with 2-4 storey street walls., This was not that.

This seems like real misallocation of effort.

Great, so planning has succeeded in adding cost and complexity to the build, reducing GFA, and increasing the carbon footprint during construction and operation, all so we get a building that lines up with another nearby building of arbitrary height.

Back