Toronto 8 Elm | 218.2m | 69s | Reserve Properties | Arcadis

Lets call it what it is...tokenism. By permitting it, the city can pat itself on the shoulder in the delusional belief their preserving a piece of our heritage, but what they're really doing is a disservice to new/contemporary projects by forcing them to commit a form of architectural fraud. If a building is worthy of being listed as historically or architecturally significant then that building deserves to be preserved in it's entirety!

Last edited:
The sentiments are great in principle, but to have the interiors saved, they have to be designated too, and few get designated because most interiors get highly modified over the years, to the point that there's often little of historical value left. When the interiors are still in good condition or could be brought back to it, they get designated.

If a building is worthy of being listed as historically or architecturally significant then that building deserves to be preserved in it's entirety!

I suspect that such an approach would result in far fewer buildings being listed.

BTW, is it likely that some version of this tower gets built? It seems like there are a lot of strikes against it. Although it could well be a zoning exercise to increase land value.

An actual developer (pemberton) is behind it, so I doubt they are doing it for land value.

I can't see more than a midrise here, unless they can buy up some adjacent property.

The report is basically ammo for the fight against a tall tower on the 8 Elm site.

From the Sept TEYCC:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-106307.pdf

Also interesting - the flight path for Sick Kids

AoD

Interesting, but I'm not convinced the flight path affects 8 Elm.

luF27Hd.png

There is a whole lot going on here all at once. It's a bit of a mess to be honest. The reason they are being heard together has to do with comprehensive block planning - the city is trying to make sure the whole area is planned correctly. The big problem is that there are a dozen or so owners - many of them with very little to no development experience.

Back