Toronto 8 Dawes | 123.68m | 38s | Marlin Spring | Arcadis

As the cover-letter states, the land is currently (Nov. 2022) still owned by Metrolinx in GeoWeb.

Considering the sale materials in the spring - wondering if this is some kind of conditional offer waiting on the rezoning before it closes?

If it gets delayed by the City, will Metrolinx take the City to the OLT..? 🍿

This is why Metrolinx won't make affordable housing a condition of sale or for that matter they will not get involved in planning which is as we all know a political matter.

That said maybe with the new provincial involvement in municipal (planning/politics) it will open the door for Metrolinx to be a bit more involved.

7DF13E2D-846A-4EE3-B6AA-9D812C1CFEC9.jpeg

Danforth tour today, a pristine graffiti-free sign is now up.

Marlin Spring’s recent acquisition of a vacant piece of Toronto development land at 8 Dawes Rd. from Metrolinx adds to its cluster in the area and an already very active development pipeline.

The Toronto-based company used its Marlin Spring Development Fund II to acquire the approximately 30,000-square-foot high-rise, transit-oriented, mixed-use development site in the Danforth Village neighbourhood for an undisclosed price.

Marlin Spring Developments vice-president of land development and acquisitions John Josephson told RENX it was a competitive process with interest from several bidders.

“It's a vacant property that Metrolinx was using for construction staging,” Josephson said.

----------

Plans for 8 Dawes Rd.

The plan is to build a 38-storey condominium with 399 units, indoor and outdoor amenities, parking for 126 cars and 450 bicycles, a minor retail component and a small park. Marlin Spring is in the middle of the approvals process for the project, which may also include an affordable rental housing component.

“We'll do what we can do to make it a complete community,” said Pedro Lopes, who was recently promoted to Marlin Spring Developments’ chief executive officer after spending the past 39 months as senior vice-president of development.
-------------

Lopes told RENX he would like to have all approvals for 8 Dawes in place by the end of the year and then begin sales and construction as soon as market conditions dictate.

Rendering image from article:

2023-04-11-09-article-image-new-toronto-acquisition-for-marlin-springs-pipelinejpg.jpg

It's time to dispense with the myth that the government (any level, any stripe) is interested in housing being affordable. At best, they're disinterested; at worst, they have a strong incentive to maintain the bubble. Developers and banks have too much money and power these days for things to be otherwise.

It's time to dispense with the myth that the government (any level, any stripe) is interested in housing being affordable. At best, they're disinterested; at worst, they have a strong incentive to maintain the bubble. Developers and banks have too much money and power these days for things to be otherwise.

I don't know that I disagree, by and large,with the first part of your statement; but I will say, there's no utility in accepting a status quo that is very damaging to society already, and seems to be heading us in the wrong direction.

Disruption of said status quo is necessary.

I don't know that I disagree, by and large,with the first part of your statement; but I will say, there's no utility in accepting a status quo that is very damaging to society already, and seems to be heading us in the wrong direction.

Disruption of said status quo is necessary.
Sure, agreed, but I'm not sure how much headway we'll make. The fix is clearly in:

1684164381842.png

Source is Wikipedia, their sources are Bloomberg, CBC and McKinsey's website.

Disclaimer: yes, of course, doesn't mean we just give up.

Last edited:
Sure, agreed, but I'm not sure how much headway we'll make. The fix is clearly in:

View attachment 477284
Source is Wikipedia, their sources are Bloomberg, CBC and McKinsey's website.

Disclaimer: yes, of course, doesn't mean we just give up.

Who do McKinsey think they are? Goldman Sachs?

Back