Hamilton 77 James Street North | ?m | 30s | Harlo | srm Architects

Yeah this was my video and when I was inside, the building had it's power cut. That means it will severely decline over the summer without HVAC. It would take a couple hundred thousand dollars to get it to a point where it could be re-used for a homeless shelter (which some are discussing in the press). This whole mess involving the building is so annoying and I think no matter what, James St will have to deal with this blight for a few more years.
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6364.JPG
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6361.JPG

You captured the anger I think we all feel so well. The original Eaton Centre was classic 80s/90s hubris, and every attempt to 'fix' it has been so half-assed and bound to fail. I'd prefer they demolish it all, rebuild the street grid as much as possible, and develop individual parcels instead of trying for another mega project.

Great video, as always, though.

You captured the anger I think we all feel so well. The original Eaton Centre was classic 80s/90s hubris, and every attempt to 'fix' it has been so half-assed and bound to fail. I'd prefer they demolish it all, rebuild the street grid as much as possible, and develop individual parcels instead of trying for another mega project.

Great video, as always, though.
Maybe we can get out the archives and actually rebuild the buildings they demolished lol..

Yeah this was my video and when I was inside, the building had it's power cut. That means it will severely decline over the summer without HVAC. It would take a couple hundred thousand dollars to get it to a point where it could be re-used for a homeless shelter (which some are discussing in the press). This whole mess involving the building is so annoying and I think no matter what, James St will have to deal with this blight for a few more years.

Excellent video as always Jake!

I think it would be great to have Hamiltons version of The Well at this location. Especially if it can cater to the soon to be renovated Commons entertainment district.

I think it would be great to have Hamiltons version of The Well at this location. Especially if it can cater to the soon to be renovated Commons entertainment district.
That would require the existing well in hamilton to move. I was actually just talking to steve who originally was the one who opened it and he said the guy running it partook in some unethical stuff which caused him to part ways with it.

Maybe we can get out the archives and actually rebuild the buildings they demolished lol..

I wish Hamilton could do that and get its Market Square back. Had it survived, it could have been revitalized to look and feel like a traditional European market square with restaurants, large patios on the square, restored heritage buildings, and outdoor markets, concerts and other events.

I'm still holding out that IN8 either goes hard on this one, partners with someone with some history of building that kind of thing or just sells it. Maybe RioCan could buy it and just build a Hamilton Well. Well 2, or maybe something more Hamilton. Hamilton Commons, Hamilton Square, Hamilton Hall, maybe named after something that was there before? Hamilton Market, Hamilton Centre, could be nice to get something a bit more interesting.

That would require the existing well in hamilton to move. I was actually just talking to steve who originally was the one who opened it and he said the guy running it partook in some unethical stuff which caused him to part ways with it.
Why ..?

"The Well" in Toronto also isn't some shady bar. Look up the development he is actually referring to.

Why ..?

"The Well" in Toronto also isn't some shady bar. Look up the development he is actually referring to.
I know what development he's referring to. Both "the Well"s were created by the same person, one in hamiltn, one in toronto, as steve was orignally from hamilton and thus wanted a presence here, but the one in hamilton was run by someone else - steve originally set up both wells, the "pitbull" events in toronto, and "the drink" bar in toronto.

The one in hamilton apparently partook in some shady business. I heard it straight from the source. I heard it was closing down, but I'd have to verify if that rumour is true.

*edit* ignore me lol - I was thinking this was the well bar, not the well "conglomerate" lol..

Last edited:
I think that The Well Model ™️😂 is going to be replicated across the country over the next decade! I know that in Toronto several of the really big property owners have people there daily taking notes. This site in Hamilton is perfect for that and seemed to have similarities in its early iterations. Other possible inspirations might be Mirvish Village and Fitzrovia’s site on Queen East.

I know what development he's referring to. Both "the Well"s were created by the same person, one in hamiltn, one in toronto, as steve was orignally from hamilton and thus wanted a presence here, but the one in hamilton was run by someone else - steve originally set up both wells, the "pitbull" events in toronto, and "the drink" bar in toronto.

The one in hamilton apparently partook in some shady business. I heard it straight from the source. I heard it was closing down, but I'd have to verify if that rumour is true.
I am confused. You are comparing some little bar with an absolutely massive multi-purpose (retail, dining, entertainment, residential, office) development that cost at least $1.4 billion to construct?

I think that The Well Model ™️😂 is going to be replicated across the country over the next decade! I know that in Toronto several of the really big property owners have people there daily taking notes. This site in Hamilton is perfect for that and seemed to have similarities in its early iterations. Other possible inspirations might be Mirvish Village and Fitzrovia’s site on Queen East.
Mirvish Village hasn't been completed yet, but I also think it'll be a winning model, and additionally it looks great, better than much of The Well in my opinion.

In general, Hamilton has really still avoided the "Master Planned Community" seen in many other cities in the GTHA. This site, Limeridge and Eastgate probably hold the highest likelihood of doing that. Centre Mall will likely see it some day. Likely 20 years from now at least though.

How about a new convention centre at this site to replace the dinky thing Hamilton has now?

Back