Toronto 750 Morningside | 15.1m | 4s | Starlight | Arch. Unfolded

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From the Lobbyist Registry we learn that this site is in play.

This site is an existing multi-storey purpose built rental, in the tower-in-the-park style of site arrangement.

I don't know, but would presume this to be an intensification proposal.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32731​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Communication on a future Site Plan Application to be submitted for 750 Morningside Ave

Streetview:

1640183873235.png

Aerial Pic:

1640183900023.png

I must confess, the site doesn't seem well configured for and additional building, given requirements like separation distance, and concerns about overlook.

A hammer-head configuration is plausible, but there's only ~24 meters to the sidewalk.

The site area to the north is larger (where the pool is), at ~36M; but take away minimal separation and consider the adjacent townhomes.......

Hmmmm

From the Lobbyist Registry we learn that this site is in play.

This site is an existing multi-storey purpose built rental, in the tower-in-the-park style of site arrangement.

I don't know, but would presume this to be an intensification proposal.

Details for Subject Matter Registration: SM32731​

Decision(s) or issue(s) to be lobbied

Communication on a future Site Plan Application to be submitted for 750 Morningside Ave

Streetview:

View attachment 370997

Aerial Pic:

View attachment 370998

I must confess, the site doesn't seem well configured for and additional building, given requirements like separation distance, and concerns about overlook.

A hammer-head configuration is plausible, but there's only ~24 meters to the sidewalk.

The site area to the north is larger (where the pool is), at ~36M; but take away minimal separation and consider the adjacent townhomes.......

Hmmmm

I agree it looks tight. Maybe rather than a tower, we're looking at townhouse blocks, or lowrise apartments north and/or south of the existing building.

View attachment 415817
pic source

The towns look awkward. Goes to show how difficult it can be to densify these older tower in the park sites without tearing down the existing building.
I think they've been rather timid and uncreative with this proposal. Surely they could easily graft the new building onto the existing one like at 'The Hampton' on Roehampton, and add three or four times the density that they are proposing here, while moving all parking underground under the new building. Then, the current surface parking areas could be mostly reclaimed as landscaped park and/or POP space facing Mornelle Court. Be more ambitious Starlight!

I think they've been rather timid and uncreative with this proposal. Surely they could easily graft the new building onto the existing one like at 'The Hampton' on Roehampton, and add three or four times the density that they are proposing here, while moving all parking underground under the new building. Then, the current surface parking areas could be mostly reclaimed as landscaped park and/or POP space facing Mornelle Court. Be more ambitious Starlight!

As I noted in my first post, I think a hammer-head configuration would have been plausible here.

That said, Starlight has a fairly consistent strategy which involves avoiding any OP amendments and most ZBA requirements and going straight to SPA based on as-of-right.

They tend to look for low-hanging fruit at low-cost with low-risk. In some cases, they've done so with a measure of success; this time, not so much.

Back