Toronto 73 Woodbine | 23.4m | 6s | Beachwood LP | RAW Design

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just north of Lake Ontario, near the foot of Woodbine Avenue is where this modest infill project is situated, according to the AIC.

The addresses are listed as 73, 75 and 79 Woodbine, along with 3 Buller. Note that I have included 83 Woodbine as well in the aerial pic below, which may be erroneous, but I think makes sense, as you will see.

First the App, and link:

1648797214531.png

Now, on the aerial Pic:

1648797297463.png

Not visible in the above is that 3 Buller is the rear of the property above Windward Lane, with 83 Woodbine being the front.

Streetview:

1648797409807.png

83 is the northermost (left) parcel here, and certainly gives the impression of being included to me.

Me too. My wife and I were just walking along that very stretch yesterday, definitely on our list of favorite local strolls. I imagine even four stories will have at least some locals grumbling.

Me too. My wife and I were just walking along that very stretch yesterday, definitely on our list of favorite local strolls. I imagine even four stories will have at least some locals grumbling.

In terms of urban initiatives, residents of the Beaches often voice their concern about the patches of barren streetscapes along Queen Street caused by empty or neglected storefronts.

At some point, folks there need to realize that increased population from new infill developments offer a boost to retail as it provides a greater critical mass of residents to support local businesses.

It'll be increasingly important as areas with aging population like the Beaches, and the older housing stock being more and more unaffordable and unfeasible for younger people.

Last edited:
In the case of this proposal, the precedent for 4s already exists directly across the street.

1649020189944.png

These 3s + dormers are probably the tallest thing on the east side of the street right now (south of Queen)

1649020281151.png

This is what the site backs onto, you can see the application sign on the one home:

1649020417562.png

As a slight digression, I strongly favour narrowing Lake Shore Blvd east of Coxwell and Woodbine south of Kingston Road, removing 2 lanes generally speaking (though I'd add back some turning lanes at traffic lights)
Anyone who has attended fireworks at Ashbridges Bay can attest to the absurd narrowness of those sidewalks on Woodbine.

I would favour a slight widening to the west sidewalk w/streetscape, and a grand promenade on the east side, that south of Queen could also feature a branch of the Martin-Goodman Trail. Then north of Queen turn into cycle tracks along Woodbine.
I think the above changes could be coordinated w/redeveloping any non-heritage buildings along Woodbine to 4; except at the Queen and Kingston intersections where it would be 6s.

Aesthetic and transportation benefits to one side, the narrowing of Lake Shore would also potentially add up to 2 acres to the Eastern Beaches Parks which can be quite crowded on summer weekends. If one could then shift a chunk of the parking within said parks under mid-rise (s) on Queen, one could theoretically add another couple of acres too.

Last edited:
I love this general area, but really dislike that particular spot. Cars making the transition from Lake Shore to Woodbine are regularly doing 60-70 along there, and because of the curve in the road I just hate being in the headlights of cars making the turn. The southbound / west side of Woodbine doesn't bother me the same way, it's specifically the northbound / east side.

I know they've got the highway crash barrier along the sidewalk there, but that almost makes it feel worse, like some city engineer is validating my underlying intuition about that sidewalk. I'd let them have ten storeys here, if they'd be willing to trade the density for a generous setback, a widened sidewalk, some raised planters, and some dense landscaping to mitigate the view of the road.

I love this general area, but really dislike that particular spot. Cars making the transition from Lake Shore to Woodbine are regularly doing 60-70 along there, and because of the curve in the road I just hate being in the headlights of cars making the turn. The southbound / west side of Woodbine doesn't bother me the same way, it's specifically the northbound / east side.

I know they've got the highway crash barrier along the sidewalk there, but that almost makes it feel worse, like some city engineer is validating my underlying intuition about that sidewalk. I'd let them have ten storeys here, if they'd be willing to trade the density for a generous setback, a widened sidewalk, some raised planters, and some dense landscaping to mitigate the view of the road.

I think narrowing the road is key to all that. That will help trim excess speeds.

It might also be useful to redevelop the restaurant complex adjacent to Lake Shore with room for a small street-side patio, and a larger back patio on the Lakeside. That would help create a narrower sense of road and a slower intuitive speed.

1657766832068.png

This is kind of an elegant rebuttal to the folks who all swore that - "they'd be fine with 4-Storey apartments on Main Streets and Avenues in the Beach(es)."

Expecting the usual NIMBY folks to lose their minds down there - as always.

Looking forward to the ensuing meltdowns, and subsequent approval.
You appear to have received your wish for the "ensuing meltdowns"... first of many we expect...

The red semi detached to the south of this are being bullied with a multiple hundred page document saying the development has the right to use their private driveway off woodbine.

Use for what purpose?

Well............this one has been resubmitted; and if @HousingNowTO reported a meltdown for 4s; I wonder what will happen now that is 5s?

1690358724600.png

1690358881028.png

1690358909212.png

1690358943245.png

1690358967438.png

Note that 5s exceeds the general permission for 'Neighbourhoods'; the proponent is relying on the discussion under EHON to go as high as six storeys as the basis for that chance.

Back