Vaughan 7200 Yonge | 196m | 55s | Auto Complex Ltd | Graziani + Corazza

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't remember if this was already posted, but there's now a major proposal for the car dealerships NW of the intersection.

This must be the legendary starchitect @ProjectEnd was hinting at in the other thread...

Photo from @jaycola:

.jpg

From the planning docs:

a.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

a.JPG

Quick notes: the parking ratio is pretty high at .58 per unit. Hopefully that can be nudged down to .3 in line with VMC.

This proposal brings the number of potential new units in this area to just over 20,000 and there are a few more parcels left. Gonna be another epic condo farm if population growth and real estate speculation trends persist.

Many more details available in the docs.

Last edited:
I've given the matter some thought.

Beyond the lackluster architecture, I'm unsatisfied by the site plan:

1651098421434.png

You really want to see granularity/permeability.

The block along Yonge is too long, its pretty close to ~200M, there needs to be a third street coming into the interior of the development (and/or public Road A needs to come south to line up with Condominium Road.

* should that road remain

From a N-S street point of view, Powell Road likewise needs to come north, and meet what is labelled public road B here.

I don't think the western 1/2 of the Condominium Road needs to be there though, and here's why:

I would shift the small towers the currently proposed parkland.

I would swap the parkland to encompass where those towers currently are, so it would occupy almost the entirely western side of the site,but for the new through street.

In this layout, the extended Powell Avenue would serve as a buffer to the adjacent low-rise community.

By configuring the park in this location, you preserve access to the sun from the south and west, as is currently envisioned.

But by making the E-W road in that area redundant you can add that land area to the park, and make it larger, a more usable size.

1651099343216.png

The park can now be 1.5ha instead (3.75 acres) or 50% larger than the current proposal.

By reducing the linear exposure to the low rise community, it also becomes possible to add additional height to offset any additional
granularity through more blocks; while retaining a stepping trend.

I would also be inclined to step heights up from south to north to increase sun penetration further into the site. (currently the tallest building is at the south-east corner)

Attachments

• 1651098669822.png
    1651098669822.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
I can see North York's downtown core extending from Finch Ave all the way up to the train tracks in York Region so far with theses tall buildings and skyscrapers being proposed lol!!

Back