Toronto 7 St Thomas | 38.71m | 9s | St. Thomas | Hariri Pontarini

The curve is on a 1 m radius as originally designed, pretty tight. There is also the matter of the frit design. I think their standard suppliers won't touch it becuase of the low volume, its a small buliding, which means specialized suppliers, but not at the cost they're willing to pay! Value engineering may win out!

Rents should be high in this neighbourhood, so I think they can keep value engineering to a minimum. They can still build something sophisticated, even if it's not to the original design.

I'm surprised that this issue wasn't foreseen earlier.

Same - seems like a big oversight to me. Doesn't an architect have to provide the developer with the estimate costs of the design it's bringing forward? Wouldn't they, more than anyone, be familiar with the availability of certain kinds of materials. I'd think that would be a fundamental aspect of bringing forward a design.

The curved glass on this does not seem terribly different from what HP is doing with One Bloor. There is the issue of volume I guess.

Is there another material that could replace the glass in the curvedportions that wouldn't detract from the design?

The curve is on a 1 m radius as originally designed, pretty tight. There is also the matter of the frit design. I think their standard suppliers won't touch it becuase of the low volume, its a small buliding, which means specialized suppliers, but not at the cost they're willing to pay! Value engineering may win out!
Bidding is still open, so we shall see. I know that there are a few companies still going after it.

7 St. Thomas is about to go under construction. Front page story here, and more new renderings in the dataBase file.

They cut down all the adult trees along St. Thomas and Sultan streets. It's really a shame because the corner loses its coziness. I suppose it was an issue because they were digging down? Either way, it's too bad. It'll take another 2 decades to get trees the same size.

27 May 2014: It does look different without those trees.:(
9mVXMX3.jpg

ORj8282.jpg

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 193247 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 18, 2014

Project: Other Other(BA)

Description: Proposal to retain existing portions (facades) of the buildings municipally known as 1-9 Sultan street and 11 St Thomas for incorporation into the redevelopment of the lands for the purposes a new 9 storey no-residential building.

Large bracing is up on the west side (not as big as Five's bracing) and the backs of the buildings that are not being saved have been taken off.

Large bracing is up on the west side (not as big as Five's bracing) and the backs of the buildings that are not being saved have been taken off.

Guess that explains why they had to remove the trees. Regrettable, but I hope they put in some spectacular landscaping as replacement (with Silva cells, hopefully).

AoD

Back