Brampton 69 Bramalea Road | 91m | 28s | Medallion | Arcadis

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposal for a two-phase apartment development on the northeast corner of Bramalea Road and East Drive, just north of the Bramalea GO Station. There's an early 1960s Bank of Montreal branch on the site that's proposed for retention (in whole as part of the first phase and partially integrated into the second phase).

Only basic site plans and massing for now.

The area is in a transitional zone between industrial and residential uses, with the early 1960s-era Bramalea subdivisions to the north and an industrial area to the south and east. There are two Medallion-owned towers on the other side of Bramalea Road.

69 Bramalea 1.jpg
69 Bramalea 2.jpg
69 Bramalea 3.jpg
69 Bramalea 4.jpg
69 Bramalea 5.jpg

Does anyone else find it strange this location on Bramalea Rd. has the address number 69?
It does strike one as a bit weird, but Bramalea Road in Brampton starts addresses at Steeles, and counts up from there, initially pretty slowly. The short bit of Bramalea Road south of Steeles in Brampton doesn't have anything addressed to it (everything's addressed to adjacent roads here). Once you cross into Mississauga, the numbering follows Mississauga's system, and the numbers are up in the 6000s.

I don't have my historical maps or atlases with me where I am right now, so I can't check quickly, but this road was originally a numbered Line, and I believe that the Brampton section was renamed before the Mississauga portion was, hence the restarting of the addresses at Steeles at that time.

It does strike one as a bit weird, but Bramalea Road in Brampton starts addresses at Steeles, and counts up from there, initially pretty slowly. The short bit of Bramalea Road south of Steeles in Brampton doesn't have anything addressed to it (everything's addressed to adjacent roads here). Once you cross into Mississauga, the numbering follows Mississauga's system, and the numbers are up in the 6000s.

I don't have my historical maps or atlases with me where I am right now, so I can't check quickly, but this road was originally a numbered Line, and I believe that the Brampton section was renamed before the Mississauga portion was, hence the restarting of the addresses at Steeles at that time.

Bramalea Road’s numbering is odd, because unlike Dixie Road or Torbram, the numbering starts at Steeles. Note too that Steeles was the old boundary between Toronto Township and Chinguacousy Township.

On Dixie, the numbers continue upwards as you cross Steeles Avenue (7999 south of Steeles, 8001 north of Steeles). Torbram does the same.

Bramalea Limited probably decided numbering the portion of 4th Line East starting at the township boundary and northward into its huge tract of land.

North of Queen Street, the normal street numbering resumes, with 9000/9001 Bramalea Road being the first two available street numbers north of Queen. There are few addresses on Bramalea Road between Steeles and Queen, I’m only slightly surprised that the City of Brampton didn’t bother adding 7000 to the street addresses to normalize the number scheme.

Back