Toronto 66 Charles East | 35m | 9s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

^I understand your hesitation on seeing this on streets
that may not be able to support many of these which is why I said suitable and provided the map illustrating the current and proposed r-o-ws the City has put forward. And when you add up the lots along these numerous arterials one does get a very large number.

I have to say that the Internet is not kind to those who see with a black and white perspective. Unlike an academic paper or broadsheet it functions in real-time and changes constantly. And this is not a criticism as it is an adjustment society as a whole has had to make.

The upstream issue is a real one, but is too large and off-topic for this thread.

I'm happy to support your idea for Charles St. and in fact have already gotten the City to at least try out some of these types of ideas, though not here, yet.

As I noted, i don't really take that much of an issue w/this proposal as a one-off; my problem, is with the unbridled enthusiasm for tens of thousands more.........

That is something you can't offset by narrowing one, ten or even 200 hundred side streets, and that is just to 'stay in neutral' not to achieve an ecological and climate/weather resilient city.

It's the extremism; which I consider no less a problem from YIMBY than I do NIMBY. Thoughfulness and nuance are always required, flat-out yeses and nos are equally problematic. Also, is this development conditional on reconstructing Charles in the fashion you outlined? (no), and whose paying for it to happen when the City has a capital deficit of more than 20B over the next decade, and that's again w/o all the 'nice to haves'?

Sure, you can build more IF........ absolutely........but then must make the 'if' a reality, not an idea, approved, planned, designed, funded, constructed.
No doubt there is a lot of questions on implementation but honestly I doubt Toronto will ever be a place where we have all our ducks in a row before doing anything.
But genuine question, in cities like NYC, London, Paris and Tokyo where lot coverage is near absolute (in central areas) my understanding is they are not chronically flooded..? Not sure if it's larger sewer capacity or better protected situations upstream but hyper dense cores being mostly dry seems like a reality. And I mean we have a downtown that's half grass lawns and trees, and yet what happened yesterday still happened.

But genuine question, in cities like NYC, London, Paris and Tokyo where lot coverage is near absolute (in central areas) my understanding is they are not chronically flooded..?

Your understanding is incorrect.

NYC:

Image of NYC flooding from the above:

1721225336464.png

London, UK:

Picture from the above:

1721225451569.png

Paris:

Picture:

1721225513082.png

I don't know how you managed the idea that this problem is somehow unique to Toronto.

That said, this now very tangential to the thread at hand..........should you wish to discuss it further or have questions, perhaps we can either make or find a more appropriate thread, or taking the discussion private.

Your understanding is incorrect.

NYC:

Image of NYC flooding from the above:

View attachment 581065

London, UK:

Picture from the above:

View attachment 581067

Paris:

Picture:

View attachment 581070

I don't know how you managed the idea that this problem is somehow unique to Toronto.

That said, this now very tangential to the thread at hand..........should you wish to discuss it further or have questions, perhaps we can either make or find a more appropriate thread, or taking the discussion private.
I’ll make this my last post on the topic, but I never said those cities don’t flood. My point was they periodically have bad floods, in the same way Toronto does while simultaneously enjoying the high lot coverage you said is unfeasible. Backyards 500m from the core isn’t saving us from flooding so there’s no reason to inhibit the other benefits of development to try and hold onto that imagined perk.

Back to the topic of this thread please, which is just this building proposal.

Back