Toronto 645 Northcliffe | 54.35m | 15s | Stanford Homes | superkül

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
A proposed 15-storey residential building on the north of Northcliffe Boulevard and Vaughan Road. The total FSI of the project is 10.3! The proposal is located in the neighbourhood of Oakwood-Vaughan.

Renderings of the project is shown below:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Northcliffe Blvd_ARCH_DRAFT ZAA_210820-1.jpg

Northcliffe Blvd_ARCH_DRAFT ZAA_210820-3.jpg
Northcliffe Blvd_ARCH_DRAFT ZAA_210820-3a.jpg

Northcliffe Blvd_ARCH_DRAFT ZAA_210820-3b.jpg

From the UT article yesterday. A new 15 storey residential project at 645 Northcliffe Blvd, in the Dufferin & Eg West area and close to the future Fairbank Crosstown station.

Developer is Stanford Homes and designed by superkül.

The development application was also submitted on the city's website yesterday:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interested in this land-assembly model = "All together the 6 properties; 645, 647, 649, 651, 653, and 655 Northcliffe Blvd offer 120 SF of frontage, and 94 to 99 SF of depth. All 6 properties are lived in by owner, and can be vacant upon closing."

There's a couple of these kinds of in-fill happening near "Little Jamaica" with the arrival of the Crosstown LRT.

We know of some Not-for-Profits that are working on similar projects nearby, but not at the Bungalow to 15-Storey level of in-fill.

I remember seeing a few months ago that the group of 2 storey buildings at the SW corner of Northcliffe & Eglinton were put for sale. That assembly if utilized together should yield a decent amount of density. This Dufferin/Eglinton/Vaughan triangle here actually provides some interesting mixed-use and high/mid-rise residential built form already. And should establish a workable precedent and template to further intensify some remaining low density properties within it and around the area.

Our volunteers have been keeping an eye on the BEER STORE site at Oakwood and Bude for a while as an in-fill opportunity, with hopefully 50% OPEN DOOR units... but would need to have a smart development-partner.

1636568373110.png

Really interested in this land-assembly model = "All together the 6 properties; 645, 647, 649, 651, 653, and 655 Northcliffe Blvd offer 120 SF of frontage, and 94 to 99 SF of depth. All 6 properties are lived in by owner, and can be vacant upon closing."

There's a couple of these kinds of in-fill happening near "Little Jamaica" with the arrival of the Crosstown LRT.

We know of some Not-for-Profits that are working on similar projects nearby, but not at the Bungalow to 15-Storey level of in-fill.

That sounds like a sham to avoid rental replacement. The City will do their due diligence but I respect the hustle of the listing claiming they're all "lived in by the owner".

That sounds like a sham to avoid rental replacement. The City will do their due diligence but I respect the hustle of the listing claiming they're all "lived in by the owner".
Seriously. What does the owner do, use each house like a regular person would use each room in their house? lol

A community consultation meeting was held in Apr 2022 with the presentation posted online. The overall design is maintained.

Here's just a wider view of the rear of the building:

nordcl.JPG

And a couple massing model perspective diagrams:

nordcl2.JPG

This one is the subject of a Request for Direction Report, to oppose this at OLT, which is going to the next meeting of TEYCC:

The report is a bit terse on the subject of built form/massing simply noting its non-compliance w/the OP

The one truly strong objection, interestingly, comes from City Forestry, which wants to preserve the existing trees.

This would almost certainly mean pushing the building further back shrinking the GFA/Unit Count, unless this were offset by greater height.

From the report:

1668785036184.png

The trees in question are shown in @AlbertC 's post above:

1668785099804.png

I'll add a summer view:

1668785169781.png

I genuinely hope the city gets absolutely wiped here.

Everyone here knows I like my trees and green streetscapes.

I have to say, I find this particular stand a bit odd. The City has let far nicer, older, healthier trees go, countless times; some of which, I would argue merited a fuss.

These, not so much.

The one tree at the south is obviously in poor condition.
The next tree north is fairly small.
The third tree going north is the best of the bunch, but not truly exceptional; while the fourth, (its tough to tell based on streetview) looks like a Norway Maple to me.
To add to that, the streetscape proposal includes trees on this frontage, in fairly good planting conditions.

You know what this feels like to me? Saving a lot of 2-storey mundane architecture on Danforth as heritage, while having let some truly great buildings be demolished in whole or except for their facades.

There are times when I think we can say, notwithstanding a housing crisis, that something truly exceptional would be lost if a development went ahead, or ahead as envisioned.

But most often, those buildings or 150-year old Oak trees are sacrificed with remarkable ease; while something else gets protection that leaves a lot of people head-scratching.

The one truly strong objection, interestingly, comes from City Forestry, which wants to preserve the existing trees.

This would almost certainly mean pushing the building further back shrinking the GFA/Unit Count, unless this were offset by greater height.

The trees in question :

View attachment 439812
Maybe we can suggest 159 x TREE HOUSE units instead...? (Blink, Blink, Blink)

Back