Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

From a less technical point-of-view (meaning that I am less versed in these matters than some of the other Forum members), and speaking from the perspective as a resident of the area, I don't feel the extra height is problematic as it may continue to add more character given the unique aesthetic design (which I appreciate). However, I have concerns where the precedent setting decisions are going as projects continue to receive approval for increasing height and density. These types of features may slowly erode the character of this part of King West.

If heritage buildings are not preserved, or approvals for projects similar in height to those just of East of Spadina are obtained, I think the area will lose its character and flair.

Prepping the foundation for the second tower crane.

Pic taken Feb 18, 2013

tGwsxFl.jpg

The various extruded forms on the facades of this project should make it an interesting one to watch shape up as each floor is poured. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

<3 S+P

Just when you thought this neighbourhood was going upscale, a new Dollarrama store will soon open, across the street from this condo. I was quite surprised to see that, last night.

Does Dollarama bring down a neighbourhood? I think that they are great stores; well laid out, organized, and clean. People with and without money shop at them.

Does Dollarama bring down a neighbourhood? I think that they are great stores; well laid out, organized, and clean. People with and without money shop at them.

Completely agree! I shop there on a regular basis and find amazing deals. Just yesterday I picked up a WEBKINZ miniture schnauzer stuffed animal for $3! This bad boy generally sells for $8 or so at Hallmark Cards. Got some deodorant for $2.50 amongst other items (stay away from the $3 Betty Crocker frying pan though - didn't last a day). Dollarama has definitely upped it's game and carries a lot of brand names. King W may be upscale, but there are still smart shoppers out there.

I thought I was too good for Dollarama, but you'd have to be stupid to pass up good quality merchandise at low prices. The South Asian clerk had a lovely smile. It's no surprise when you see fine German cars next to old Hondas in the Dollarama parking lots at suburban locations or Cervelos next to rusty Supercycles locked to post and rings in front of the storefront on urban streets. Rich and poor appreciate value. I might still buy $1 greeting cards at Dollarama if I were a billionaire--there's no reason to pay more.

There's already one at Spadina/Adelaide (Darling Building). Dollarama isn't the end of the world, but having 2 situated so close to each other does appear like overkill.

Back