Toronto 619 Yonge | 237.99m | 70s | YI Developments | Core Architects

actually, i just checked and can confirm that the dictionary entry of "NIMBY" features an illustrated photo spread of DT.

Well I hope they are good photos of me! I've enthusiastically supported most projects over the years however I've taken exception when there are heritage issues involved, park shadowing and some projects on upper downtown Yonge Street. Do your research if you insist on tossing a label on me.

You can't simply stop all development for a decade. The city is currently making 300,000,000 from the land transfer tax, which is contingent on new development. While I do take concern with new projects, all we know about this project so far is that it is 40 floors high. We don't know what it looks like, we don't know how much retail it will have, we don't know if it will be bad for the neighbourhood. At least wait for the line drawings before deciding whether you approve a project or not.

City planning doesn't mean stopping the development. But there must be an overall vision how the cityscape should look like in a decade or so. Most major cities employ renown architects or engage design panels to do a back-check on the proposed developments, including zoning exemptions, to ensure that these fall into the big picture. I have yet to see such plan published for any part of the GTA...

As always, the quality of the cladding and finishing will be the deciding factor with this project. From the B&W render, it reminds me a little of the CityPlace Block 32 project, but on a slant. This could be a fine addition to the skyline.

slant "design" is just a cheap gimmick and street level contributes nothing. yonge is our main street and developers should be upping their game on this strip

/\ Likely.

The finishes on the podium are reminiscent of Limelight and what is supposed to come at Centrium. Not sure if I like this yet - will have to see better images.

The podium looks heavy-set and a tad clunky to me, but the tower has potential.

So dull. This is like a bland guy who thinks he's spicing things up by wearing a fedora.

I always have to laugh at some of these over-the-top reviews of a new proposal. Anything short of Burj Khalifa or Sydney Opera House is sneered at, as being "too dull". A developer would soon go broke if they tried to have every building be a world-class, iconic (and super-expensive to build) landmark -- they have to keep construction costs low enough to make an actual profit on what ordinary people can afford. Given that very real constraint, this is a fine design.

I always have to laugh at some of these over-the-top reviews of a new proposal. Anything short of Burj Khalifa or Sydney Opera House is sneered at, as being "too dull". A developer would soon go broke if they tried to have every building be a world-class, iconic (and super-expensive to build) landmark -- they have to keep construction costs low enough to make an actual profit on what ordinary people can afford. Given that very real constraint, this is a fine design.

+1 honestly some of these comments are just ridiculousness

This looks like it references U Condo just a block over on Bay with the building length tilt of the framing. The ground level is not all glass so has a much better rhythm to it than whatever other glass turd was proposed just down the street. I am terrible with square footage - will this other a similar amount of retail & office than what exists currently?

I don't know anything about the current heritage value of the building on the corner. It looks like it has seen many iterations of Yonge Street in its day.

As always, the quality of the cladding and finishing will be the deciding factor with this project. From the B&W render, it reminds me a little of the CityPlace Block 32 project, but on a slant. This could be a fine addition to the skyline.

+1 Nice to see some creativity creeping back into the proposals.

Back