Toronto 561 Sherbourne | 128.01m | 43s | Medallion | Arcadis

There is always that other store on Wellesley if you want chaos.

uhg... going into that Food Basics is, I imagine, like walking into hell.

There is nothing wrong with rentals. Its the subsidized lower income rentals and the Toronto Housing that are a problem.
These buildings have raised their rents in the last couple of years and I am sure will continue to do so as the demographics change with the redevelopement.

Yes I understand. My point though was that there are so many other rentals in the area with so many issues (St James Town specifically)l

I switched from the College Park Metro to the St. Jamestown Food Basics and couldn't be happier. The service is a million times friendlier, the exact same products will often be 10-20% cheaper, and I prefer the layout of the store. The produce and meats aren't as good, but I was generally getting those from Pusateri's and Cumbrae's anyway, so it's no loss.

I've been going there since it was a Dominion back in the early 80's but a while after it switched to Food Basics a dozen or so years ago it went down hill really quickly so I stopped going there. Good to hear posivitve comments on it, I'll give it another chance as it's the same distance as No Frills for me.

Despite the fact that this No Frills is such a mess it still gets a lot of foot traffic/shoppers... what will all the shoppers do when/if this project goes ahead and the No Frills shuts for 2+ years for construction?
Is this sort of thing taken into consideration when decisions are being made at City Hall?

I shopped at that Food Basics for years. It was getting very rundown and then in 2002ish they renovated and it was cleaner, brighter with brand new freezers and display cases.

Now although I understand our Western idea of spotless terrazzo floors means a better shopping experience, but a pack of Oreos is a pack of Oreos no matter what the floors look like. And at 20 percent less... I'll take my money there.

The prices at these stores is consistently lower by significant percentages. If it's the staples you are looking for, then why pay 100 dollars for the same groceries you can get for $75? Just so your sensibilities and your perception of "self-importance" is soothed? Many people in the privileged Western world sound elitist and much like the aristocracy of old, who were reticent to mix with the unwashed masses.

I say: Puleeeease... Get over yourself... It's Oreos for only $2.49!

Speaking of that No Frills, I'll be there in a few hours. I'm a harsh critic, gonna give it a rating out of five (based on previous NF's I've shopped at.) (Only recently I've been hanging out in this area, and must say I'm rather surprised at the types living around here--it's basically the opposite of High Park area...)

^^ Exactly. I live within 5 minutes walking distance of 3 supermarkets, but of the three I most regularly go to the No Frills, because of its low prices. I only go to the other two if they have something not available at the No Frills, or if there is a significant difference in quality (most notably fruits and vegetables, which always seem to go mouldy a few days after I buy them, if I bought them at my local No Frills).

Sure, No Frills might be "low class" and looked down upon by the grocery snobs, but I save so much money! That's money I can use for other purposes. If I save $25 in a week, that's as good as earning an additional $25 net that week -- that's an additional $1300 spending money in a year.

Last edited:
Speaking of that No Frills, I'll be there in a few hours. I'm a harsh critic, gonna give it a rating out of five (based on previous NF's I've shopped at.) (Only recently I've been hanging out in this area, and must say I'm rather surprised at the types living around here--it's basically the opposite of High Park area...)

Types? Elaborate!

^To be honest, I recall the Cabbagetown/S-J-T of the early to mid 90s. It seemed much less racially diverse then. The condos of the area have really changed the feel of the area--very Vancouver-style. Now it's intensely diverse.

So I went to that No Frills. While they didn't have what I wanted (hardly any No Frills does), you critics are nuts! The place is perfectly fine, clean, has decent cheaply priced products and would suit 90% of my grocery needs. 4.5/5

Here's another tower proposal:

545-565 SHERBOURNE ST
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District
Related Applications

Site Plan Approval

Site plan approval to reconstruct portion of podium and add new residential tower with 376 new residential units - 43 stories - existing parking - 32 street front townhouse units

Application Number 11 117944 STE 28 SA Application Status ---
Planner Name
Phone Number Stea, Angela
416-392-7215 Status Date ---
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Feb 1, 2011
Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) ---

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) ---

Lot Size (sq m) ---

Proposed Residential Units ---

Proposed Storeys ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another tower proposal:

545-565 SHERBOURNE ST
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District
Related Applications

Site Plan Approval

Site plan approval to reconstruct portion of podium and add new residential tower with 376 new residential units - 43 stories - existing parking - 32 street front townhouse units

Application Number 11 117944 STE 28 SA Application Status ---
Planner Name
Phone Number Stea, Angela
416-392-7215 Status Date ---
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Feb 1, 2011
Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) ---

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) ---

Lot Size (sq m) ---

Proposed Residential Units ---

Proposed Storeys ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think this is another tower proposal. As this is a site plan approval, this is the next process where the municipality reviews and approves detailed plans for the development of a site, addressing issues such as location of parking lots and landscaping.

Looks like this is the the next step from the developer to get this whole 545-565 SHERBOURNE ST project going =D Yippeee...=)

B-Chan

Last edited:
Did they change the design and removed the three sky terraces? I thought they were a part of this project if I'm not mistaken.

And it looks like 18% will be 3+ bedroom units and 62% will be 2 bedrooms. Not bad.

I'm liking this plan...

I do wish they would knock down the rest of St James Town and rebuild it.

The house I used to live in look better than what replace it.

The whole area is poorly plan and layout.

You can have a better street edge with more retail by going mid-high rise as a continue block.

Given the age of the school, it has held up a lot better when I went there.

Back