Toronto 550 Wellington West and 1 Hotel | ?m | 15s | Freed | a—A

If they are going to do whats code, why would they open themselves up to criticism by mentioning the acoustics in a marketing piece?

That's a good question Mike. Maybe it's just an effort to make the mediocre look good. There are a number of available building products and methods out there that would help reduce sound transmission between units, it'd be nice if those were actually used in place of marketing language.

In the end, that's all that any developer has to achieve: minimum code.

It's too bad that minimum code changed from cinder block or poured concrete, to two layers of 5/8" type X drywall.

nothing more than some insulation sandwiched between 2x6 studs and drywall panels

The walls are not that thick...try 3 1/2" stud max.

It's too bad that minimum code changed from cinder block or poured concrete, to two layers of 5/8" type X drywall.

The walls are not that thick...try 3 1/2" stud max.

You may be right; however, I thought demising party walls were 2x6 ... where internal walls may be 2x4.

Balcony Glass

First glimpse of balcony glass. Looks pretty understated.

download.jpg

Last edited:
Demising walls are recommended to be double 3 1/2" steel studs, though they don't typically use the double stud wall.
Interior walls are typically using 1 5/8" steel studs, with 1/2" drywall.
Insulation only if you're lucky.

thx for the update, Mike....nice pics of a great project.....

Anyone have a basic idea how much more that curtain wall costs to build as opposed to the traditional glass used for the rest of the building?

It looks so good, kinda makes you wonder why more residential projects haven't used it.

Anyone have a basic idea how much more that curtain wall costs to build as opposed to the traditional glass used for the rest of the building?

It looks so good, kinda makes you wonder why more residential projects haven't used it.

Why are you assuming it's more expensive when it might be cheaper :rolleyes:

Why are you assuming it's more expensive when it might be cheaper :rolleyes:

Why are you assuming I'm assuming? It is more expensive, that's a fact.

I'm asking how much more does it cost compared to a traditional window wall design.

Back