Toronto 537 Broadview | 13.13m | 4s | Kanitz Properties | ERA Architects

Overall I'm very disappointed with the plans - this is the worst type of architecture in Toronto - whoever designed this should find another job. seriously. maybe designing manila envelopes. To take a historical and beautiful example of 20th century architecture, something being considered for heritage preservation at this very moment, and slap a concrete rectangle on it is just the worst example of lazy architecture that is happening all over our beautiful city. We need more laws that require architects to match the look and feel of a neighbourhood. The reason Riverdale is so desirable is because we've managed to keep out tasteless developers like these guys and preserve the small neighbourhood in a big city feel. There is more an more evidence that the committee of adjustment has either become corrupt or completely negligent. We are gathering more and more examples of builds which no one wanted but got approved anyway. examples where the committee claimed there were 24 letters for something but when you read the letters it is obvious over half of them were against. So did they not read them? did they ignore them? or were they paid to pretend otherwise?

Overall I'm very disappointed with the plans - this is the worst type of architecture in Toronto - whoever designed this should find another job. seriously. maybe designing manila envelopes. To take a historical and beautiful example of 20th century architecture, something being considered for heritage preservation at this very moment, and slap a concrete rectangle on it is just the worst example of lazy architecture that is happening all over our beautiful city. We need more laws that require architects to match the look and feel of a neighbourhood. The reason Riverdale is so desirable is because we've managed to keep out tasteless developers like these guys and preserve the small neighbourhood in a big city feel. There is more an more evidence that the committee of adjustment has either become corrupt or completely negligent. We are gathering more and more examples of builds which no one wanted but got approved anyway. examples where the committee claimed there were 24 letters for something but when you read the letters it is obvious over half of them were against. So did they not read them? did they ignore them? or were they paid to pretend otherwise?

To its credit, it completely retains the original building, and the addition is on the rear. Sometimes a manila envelope works because it keeps the attention on the original structure.

As is usually the case, it will come down to the quality and details.

We are gathering more and more examples of builds which no one wanted but got approved anyway. examples where the committee claimed there were 24 letters for something but when you read the letters it is obvious over half of them were against. So did they not read them? did they ignore them? or were they paid to pretend otherwise?
Committee of Adjustment decisions don't have much to do with which neighbours may or may not want what's being proposed, they have to do with whether what's being proposed constitutes a minor variance from what's allowed. They have to interpret the law, the rules and regs, they're not there to poll the locals. If you want to oppose something proposed at the Committee of Adjustment, you have to be able to convince them why the thing that's been proposed does not constitute a minor variance. If you're just complaining that you don't like the architecture, of course they won't be listening, it's not the CoA's place to judge the style. Nothing corrupt about that.

If anything I am expecting the new addition to be extremely respectful of the historic structure given that ERA are literally an architecture firm that specializes in heritage buildings. Just because the CoA rules against your favour doesn't indicate corruption - it indicates your lack of understanding re: how the committee functions and the role it plays within city planning.

Last edited:
Committee of Adjustment decisions don't have much to do with which neighbours may or may not want what's being proposed, they have to do with whether what's being proposed constitutes a minor variance from what's allowed. They have to interpret the law, the rules and regs, they're not there to poll the locals. If you want to oppose something proposed at the Committee of Adjustment, you have to be able to convince them why the thing that's been proposed does not constitute a minor variance. If you're just complaining that you don't like the architecture, of course they won't be listening, it's not the CoA's place to judge the style. Nothing corrupt about that.

One guy demolished a house one street over (perpendicular) and was ordered by the courts to rebuild it exactly as it was - so don't tell me there isn't anything the neighbourhood can do to keep out the reno-eviction vultures. Believe me - the neighbourhood does not want this build to happen. There are some beautiful renovations in the neighbourhood and this is not one of them. Additionally does anyone think about the tenants right now? the rent is limited because the building is old, will that still apply? or will they be charging $3000 per square foot. Hopefully it will be declared a heritage site soon and the developers will be sent packing.

Idk it sounds to me like you're not cut out for city living, which requires the ability to relinquish and be ok with a little lack of control regarding your surroundings. Have you thought of cashing in and moving somewhere with acreage that you can lord over and do with as you please? Either way, never fun to hear wealthy homeowners complain about change in their neighbourhoods, especially modest and sensitive additions like the one proposed.

If you're looking for allies this probably isn't the site for you. I can say with certainty that most people on UT want this project to happen, and many more like it all over the city.

If anything I am expecting the new addition to be extremely respectful of the historic structure given that ERA are literally an architecture firm that specializes in heritage buildings. Just because the CoA rules against your favour doesn't indicate corruption - it indicates your lack of understanding re: how the committee functions and the role it plays within city planning.
We've been in contact with the firm and they were... curt. They couldn't give a rats ass about people who've lived there for 40 years. We have actual evidence about the CoA and we will be gathering more and going public. We've found a number of incidents and we've only been looking into it for a week. Questions need to be asked and incompetence/corruption will not be tolerated. And before you mansplain about something you literally have no professional experience in, here's a starter article for you:

In my mind, wealthy homeowners trying to use their status and privilege to assert dominance over neighbourhoods and prevent any kind of change is a form of corruption unto itself. It sounds like you've got some control issues and I hope you're able to work through them without actively making the city difficult for others to live in who don't have the resources you do. The corruption you seem to be upset about sounds like the city is trying to keep folks like you from taking up valuable time with baseless complaints that aren't relevant to CoA hearings.

In my mind, tenure in an area amounts to nothing. You own your home and your lot, not the neighbourhood.

Idk it sounds to me like you're not cut out for city living, which requires the ability to relinquish and be ok with a little lack of control regarding your surroundings. Have you thought of cashing in and moving somewhere with acreage that you can lord over and do with as you please? Either way, never fun to hear wealthy homeowners complain about change in their neighbourhoods, especially modest and sensitive additions like the one proposed.

If you're looking for allies this probably isn't the site for you. I can say with certainty that most people on UT want this project to happen, and many more like it all over the city.
That's funny coming from a 23 year old guy from hamilton. I grew up on that street. Toronto is my home and I get to have a say in the development of my city, my neighbourhood. I get to have a voice and a vote, and though we have different tastes, so do you. Toronto is no longer a new city, but it is not yet and old city and we control its path. It could be a pile of blue glass shoeboxes, or it could be a beautiful world class city with different architectural neighbourhoods and personalities like new york, or london. But it won't get there if we just let developers run rampant. Maybe when you're older you will understand.

That's funny coming from a 23 year old guy from hamilton. I grew up on that street. Toronto is my home and I get to have a say in the development of my city, my neighbourhood. I get to have a voice and a vote, and though we have different tastes, so do you. Toronto is no longer a new city, but it is not yet and old city and we control its path. It could be a pile of blue glass shoeboxes, or it could be a beautiful world class city with different architectural neighbourhoods and personalities like new york, or london. But it won't get there if we just let developers run rampant. Maybe when you're older you will understand.
creepy

I'm actually 27

In my mind, wealthy homeowners trying to use their status and privilege to assert dominance over neighbourhoods and prevent any kind of change is a form of corruption unto itself. It sounds like you've got some control issues and I hope you're able to work through them without actively making the city difficult for others to live in who don't have the resources you do. The corruption you seem to be upset about sounds like the city is trying to keep folks like you from taking up valuable time with baseless complaints that aren't relevant to CoA hearings.

In my mind, tenure in an area amounts to nothing. You own your home and your lot, not the neighbourhood.
that shows how much you don't know that neighbourhood - 20 years ago it wasn't even a part of toronto. It was east york. you are young and you make snap judgements about people. My mom worked 3 jobs to pay for that home and it was not a wealthy neighbourhood then. It was an neighbouhood of artists. a real community. this was jack layton's neighbourhood. Only a block away is the bain street coop. a neighbourhood is a community and the problem is NOW the wealthy developers want to come in and make a profit. we worked hard to create a beautiful neighbourhood that is inclusive of all incomes. it's really only in the last 15 years that rich people have been coming and ripping up houses for profit. And they come in with their entitlement and lack of community understanding and they expect to fudge everyone else over. This is a rich developer wanting to make a buck at the cost of everyone else and not the other way round. I would also like to remind you that some of these houses were the final stop on the underground railroad for some people. There is real historic significance to these houses

that shows how much you don't know that neighbourhood - 20 years ago it wasn't even a part of toronto. It was east york. you are young and you make snap judgements about people. My mom worked 3 jobs to pay for that home and it was not a wealthy neighbourhood then. It was an neighbouhood of artists. a real community. this was jack layton's neighbourhood. Only a block away is the bain street coop. a neighbourhood is a community and the problem is NOW the wealthy developers want to come in and make a profit. we worked hard to create a beautiful neighbourhood that is inclusive of all incomes. it's really only in the last 15 years that rich people have been coming and ripping up houses for profit. And they come in with their entitlement and lack of community understanding and they expect to fudge everyone else over. This is a rich developer wanting to make a buck at the cost of everyone else and not the other way round. I would also like to remind you that some of these houses were the final stop on the underground railroad for some people. There is real historic significance to these houses

sounds like you're stuck 20 years in the past, friendo - and your sense of entitlement is staggering.

And before you mansplain about something you literally have no professional experience in, here's a starter article for you:
Maybe when you're older you will understand.

So you've accused someone with a different perspective from yours of mansplaining... yet you also tell them that they can't understand the issues because they're not as old as you?

Another great advertisement for community consultations!

Back