Toronto 510 Yonge | 196.9m | 59s | KingSett Capital | BDP Quadrangle

Those buildings have been T
Here's the affected block from street level:

View attachment 277244

Toronto certainly has an aptitude for taking buildings and transforming them into the most wretchedly depressing looking sh*t imaginable. They've been Toronto-ized... corrugated sheet metal and all. There might even be a nice looking building under that brown crap.

1974:
f1526_fl0002_it0070.jpg

Mid- to late-90s:
s1465_fl0616_it0010.jpg

1914:
s0372_ss0070_it0012.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind KingSett at all. Better to be them than the other major developer present in the area, Canderel anyday. If I had to throw in another guess, then maybe Lanterra since they've kept an active presence in the area as well.

Actually, a speculation thread back in 2012 mentions that KingSett has acquired the properties of 506–512 Yonge Street:

I used to rent an office at 22 College, and I believe the owner also owned several of those buildings, especially those that are covered in some kind of stucco. I thought he had sold everything to Canderel, but that was years ago; apparently 22 College has been resold recently.

holy shit some of those buildings look terrible, like they're a 70s strip mall in a run down city and not in the middle of the primary street of a huge metropolis.

i gotta agree, there's no way it can look worse with the cladding off.

It really is a sad commentary on our civic culture. This block, among several others on Yonge, our "Main Street", could easily be mistaken for being placed in a dilapidated shantytown like Brantford instead. It's embarrassing how we've allowed our heritage to be treated.

I think this one from the mid-90s (not 80s) - you can see the then new Police HQ (1988) and Zeidler's Princess Margaret Hospital (1995). Peregrine Co-op is still under construction (18 Grenville - behind the ex-Coroner's building) - it was finished by 1997)

I used to rent an office at 22 College, and I believe the owner also owned several of those buildings, especially those that are covered in some kind of stucco. I thought he had sold everything to Canderel, but that was years ago; apparently 22 College has been resold recently.

Less Canderel in the area the better - their "pieces" have done lots for the area already.

AoD

I think this one from the mid-90s (not 80s) - you can see the then new Police HQ (1988) and Zeidler's Princess Margaret Hospital (1995). Peregrine Co-op is still under construction (18 Grenville - behind the ex-Coroner's building) - it was finished by 1997)

Less Canderel in the area the better - their "pieces" have done lots for the area already.

AoD

ah I likely misread the archives. Will update to mid late 90s to avoid confusion.

This is not going to be easy. Shadowing on parks and adjacent spaces is supposed to be minimized or not to shadow at all in OPA183. For example:

"Ensure that development/redevelopment will not cast any new net shadow on Opera Place Park Street between 12 Noon and 2:00 PM on March and September 21st, and should the opportunity arise to expand Breadalbane Park, for a period of 6 hours generally between the hours of 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM on March 21st and September 21st"

There's similar language for Breadalbane Park as well.

Real Net confirms it to be the case. Question is whom will they flip it to later if they get approved, given no longer a Cresford in sight? Who else have they worked with?
They've begun to do their own developing on some sites.

Back