Toronto 507 Eglinton West | 28.46m | 7s | Redwood | IBI Group

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score

Proposal for a 7-storey mixed-use building having a non-residential gross floor area of 348.84 square metres, and a residential gross floor area of 3972.82 square metres. A total of 35 residential dwelling units are proposed on the lot.

Replacing these

Eglinton.png

That's a very small net gain of residences to be tearing down a good chunk of the block for.

This is close to Eglinton's intersection with Tarlton Road. The site is a couple of blocks from Chaplin Crosstown station, and a few blocks from Avenue Crosstown station.

That's interesting, an increase from 2 to 7 floors is CoA.

I assume the permissible height is already over 2.

Lots of similar built forms like this along Eglinton West, between Yonge to around Keele. The Crosstown certainly opens up opportunities across the entire expanse.

^Although I think the people who can afford a 1,200 sq.ft. unit in this area (and in such a small building) won't be taking public transit anywhere. This seems like a luxury building.

^Although I think the people who can afford a 1,200 sq.ft. unit in this area (and in such a small building) won't be taking public transit anywhere. This seems like a luxury building.

Not everyone wants to throw away $700 a month on parking in the Financial District, no matter how much they make. Not everyone wants to run up the mileage on their Porsches and Mercedes Benzes and get them dinged and scratched in a parking lot. Plenty of people want to work while commuting because their time is money or to do something they otherwise won't have the time to do like reading a book.

You'd be surprised how many people making $175,000+ you could meet on the subway or GO train at rush hour. I'm not being idealistic. We have, for decades, been a city where plenty of very successful people have had no qualms with taking transit to work. It's a good thing.

Back