Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Wrong thread.

if that is the case I don't care if it gets build after ten years but the final product should be like One Bloor.

My thoughts- Toronto planners seem to put a disproportionate amount of weight on shadow impacts when evaluating tall developments, especially Jesie Ketchum which isn't sacrosanct. Come to think of it, this has caused a de facto height limit in several areas of the city.

I'm all for development. Our City could use the influx of money. The influx of 100,000 residents within a 10 clock radius of the downtown core over 10 years is a bit daunting, and I wonder how the infrastructure and communities will deal with it. However, it's completely valid to protect vital sunshine from our not-so-vitally-deemed open spaces such as school playgrounds. If any of you are parents then your interest in your child's physical and mental development is likely more important to you than a skyscraper development (one would hope).
There are many studies around the world and in Canada isolating the need for sunshine for the development of bone density, eye development, mental health, energy and vitality for the specific needs of children.

There are many in the Toronto area putting pressure on our government to protect these spaces by labeling them "vital green spaces and parks." And so they should.
This trend to pay off the TDSB and make section 37 deals to offset the shadow impacts on school grounds is eventually going to leave all of our school's parks (and greenery) in the dark. What child wants to play in the cold shadow of a concrete jungle?

~ respectfully

Last edited by a moderator:

Back