Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

maybe they will tear down the cumberland garage and build a temporary store there while the inevitble proposal there goes through sales and approval?

or maybe they just shut down for 3 years, with no store at all.

note, One bloor is still at 238m, and with a flat roof. I think we lost the slanted roof in recent designs, so its flat, and I am waiting for an official height for the recent increase to 75 floors before increasing it.

Just an estimate, but it appears that the slanted roof adds about 8m to the height, which would give a flat-roof 70s height of 230m (assuming that the mechanical room was not hidden inside it). Going to 75s would put the new height at around 247m. If the mechanical room had been located inside the sloped roof, then adding about 3m for that purpose would take the height to about 250m.

Holt Renfrew already has a plan for what they are going to do during construction. Cumberland Terrace, The Bay, Yorkville Plaza, all seem like reasonable alternatives.

Last edited:
Holt Renfrew already has a plan for what they are going to do during construction. Cumberland Terrace, The Bay, Yorkville Plaza, all seem like reasonable alternatives.

I could see them taking over the Hudson Bay store.

I was in this store last week and I noticed that they had reopened the restaurant after giving it a "make over" (its another ridiculously overpriced Compass Group restaurant) and what struck me was that in re-configuring the restaurant space they did not bother to put down new flooring so you have a hodgepodge of ugly brown tiles from the 70's. - also the dirty ceiling tiles had not been replaced in this "make over"

What this tells me is the Bay does not plan to stay in this location much longer. This would be a perfect short term alternative for Holt Renfrew

note, One bloor is still at 238m, and with a flat roof. I think we lost the slanted roof in recent designs, so its flat, and I am waiting for an official height for the recent increase to 75 floors before increasing it.

When did we lose the slanted roof?

3dtoronto_4_1.jpg

Why does this make me so giddy. Really. Why.

I'm still a bit confused - does this capture what we know in broad form?

Cumberland Terrace originally had 2 B&H towers proposed. Then the Holt site came up for redevelopment and the B&H design was consolidated into one taller tower and moved there. Perhaps in a sense they are the same project since its the same superblock and Oxford is developing both.

Assuming I have that right - what happended to the Aslop rumour?

I've heard a rumor the designer is pellow and associates. Can anyone confirm?

Do you mean Pelli & Associates? Lets hope its Pelli

There is a local architectural firm Pellow and Associates. But I wouldn't exactly call them high profile architects. They recently designed the Windermere By The Lake condo. Back in the 80's they did 95 Wellington. I think it unlikely they are designing such a project. It's possible they are the local architectural firm to work with a big international architect, as they are usually not licensed to practice architecture here. But even then, I think it's unlikely.

I can't believe how many of you guys want a supertall just for the sake of it. You'd be willing to have any building be a supertall, regardless of the design.

This project, so far, is completely uninteresting to me. If we were to have a supertall (or even a building this tall), I want it to be something I can get excited about... something special. Our own Chicago Spire, or even our own Absolute World for the sake of the metaphor-- just something that is actually exciting and unique to proclaim its status as a supertall.

This thing is... meh. Meh.

Back