Toronto 50 at Wellesley Station | 114.9m | 37s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Dundonald should be rezoned for commercial. More B&Bs, cafe's, shops etc. It could be like a gay version of Yorkville

Would never happen, given that the Village itself is largely disbanded due to gay establishments spreading out throughout the city/more "gay" nights at otherwise non-gay bars.

That said, some of the big popular bars like Woody's are such a tradition I'd doubt we'd ever see them disappear.

Yonge isn't doing very well up in Yorkville either, but the side streets are incredibly profitable and aesthetically pleasing destinations. Dundonald would be amazing with more restaurants (like Julie's on Dovercourt), B&Bs, pubs etc. There just isn't the ability to have trees, patios, interesting alleys and secret gardens or backyards on Yonge and Church. Not to mention loud traffic sounds and the general decay proliferated by foreign slum landlords on both strips.

RE: Spire , Is it actually disbanded, or are new and younger people just doing whatever they want, which isn't listening to top forty hits and having best bum contests? I think the Village has become very narrow minded, and has actively alienated an entire generation of Torontonian gays who might want better music / less commercialized and more intimate bars / cheaper drinks/ friendlier bar staff / less tourists. The neighbourhood is still really gay, just now the young gay people leave their 'hood to have a good time (or most of them do).

DH- I think that's right... there is just not as much of a need for a gay ghetto as there once was. Like Little Italy, or any other ghetto, it's really more of a symbolic heart to a geographically wide-spread, diverse community. The village is getting more mixed, and the whole city is more gay friendly, which is all great, imo.

The sale of 31-37 Dundonald is yet another example of the enormous pressure on this area to incorporate major new density. I think it would be cool to see Dundonald evolve into more of a charming, green, human scale destination, in contrast to the presently grim, rag-tag pedestrian realms of commercial streets like Yonge and Church. There already are businesses on Dundonald- i don't think it's that much of a stretch to imagine it becoming a commercial street with a similar scale to Yorkville, Mirvish Village or Kensington. Better that than taking it down for more Casa's and X's (of course there will be more of these, inevitably).

The community may not take too lightly a condo built on a mostly low-rise residential side street.

Ya think?! I missed this thread, just found it. This isn't going to happen.

I remember some of the owners of those houses being very frustrated about all the highrise development directly behind them on Wellesley. I'm sure it wasn't hard to get them to sell.

Wong-Tam is anti-development? What an unhelpful, sweeping generalization about a counselor that has a lot of different priorities and considerations to balance. She has done a LOT of good things, sometimes opposing developments, and sometimes promoting improvement to our developments.

Not everybody thinks that every single proposal should be constructed, Automation Gallery, and that makes us pro-quality-development, not ""anti-development"".

Not everybody thinks that every single proposal should be constructed, Automation Gallery, and that makes us pro-quality-development, not ""anti-development"".

I would argue that the city hall's reckless rate of approvals of large projects the last few years has put a great strain on our infrastructure.

Our city is doing very well economically/ in terms of development and would hardly be hurting if 501 Yonge was, for some reason, not built.

Gee, im still puzzled about you individuals that are "pro-quality-development".:confused:

Last edited:
A win for the developer, I suppose: "The report concludes that these properties should not be included on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties or designated under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act because they do not meet Ontario Regulation 9/06, the criteria prescribed by the Province of Ontario for municipal designation.

Located on the south side of Dundonald Street, between Yonge and Church St, each of the four properties contains a detached house form building dating to 1908-9."

from the report:

"While the properties in question have the qualities described above and contribute positively to the street and surrounding neighbourhood, these properties do not meet the criteria for listing and/or designation. In considering the current status and future of the site it is recommended that the qualities of scale, massing and landscaping identified in these properties built c1909 be maintained whether through the existing houses or through future development."

via http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.PB24.11

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M4Y 1G2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 04 202283 SHO 00 PP Accepted Date: Jan 17, 2014

Project: Apartment Building Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Construct new 27-storey condominium building with 223 units & 4 levels of parking below grade. REFER TO COMMENTS IN APPLICATION INTAKE FIELD.

Back