Toronto 494 Richmond Street East | 119m | 35s | Colonia Treuhand Holdings | Sweeny &Co

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new application into the AIC is a curious assembly, roughly at Richmond and Parliament, at the north-west Quadrant.

Of note, the applicant is explicitly committing purpose-built rental. Perhaps @HousingNowTO might take an interest in this one for that reason.

The site, outlined in orange below, is a two-tower proposal (35+16) that excludes the actual corner.

1690374040828.png

From the Applicant's Planning Report, we see the as-is condition of the site:

1690374205459.png

1690374231828.png

Now the App:

1690374337033.png

1690374365719.png

From the Docs:

1690374413130.png

1690374860009.png

1690374451137.png

1690374485056.png

1690374526569.png

1690374549462.png

Site Plan:

1690374638198.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1690374703271.png

1690374938933.png

Parking Ratio * (94 resident spaces) 0.16

Elevator Ratio: * requires breakdown into the 2 towers, the podium units read a single building. But overall, 5 elevators across 588 units or 0.85 elevators per 100 units.

Comments: Purpose-built rental is almost always a good thing. I take no issue w/the height here, which I think can be easily justified. The massing is a bit clunky, and I think requires greater setbacks. Aesthetically, we've seen much worse, but this is not
Sweeney's best work. The podium in particular would benefit from further refinement, it is, supposedly, intended to give off a heritage vibe, but 55 Mercer she ain't.

The proponent's planners seem to feel they ought to be able to count their proposed POPs as a parkland dedication. Uh Uh. If the applicant still owns the land, its not a parkland dedication.

To quote the app:

During our Pre-Consultation Application Meeting with City Staff, Parks
requested an on-site provision and the Owner
agreed to the provision, provided it could be of this
compact urban form and that it could be a POPS
to ensure its designed and maintained to serve the
residents of this rental building

How generous of the applicant, cough.

A final note on parking. The applicant appears to be setting aside 58 visitor + commercial spaces. Yet the plans show only two modest size retailers. This requires further justification, or the removal of said parking.

Love it! Seems to be a slow shift back to warmer tones happening these days.
Yes I can see the cladding on some of the building's facade are starting to use earth tone colours. But the windows are still usually that blue green look today. Like to see some other wild colours for the glass windows eg pink, purple like they did in the past! But that probability won't happen on condos and hotels tower today for viewing purposes etc .

The residential ratio is already very urban friendly (.16). Agreed the commercial needs to go as NL pointed out above. Send a gentle reminder to the City planner on this file, local Councilor and the developer requesting them to reduce the commercial.

I like that it's not two tall towers, and the shorter one is quite a bit shorter. And yeah, that's a lot of parking space - although I think it's great that they will have (free?) visitors parking, I don't think they need 58 of them!

Developments inside MTSA's should be penalized for creating that much parking in proximity to two future transit stations. The literal point of MTSA's is that residents are supposed to be transit-orientated. This neighbourhood is walkable in every sense of the word to downtown Toronto, already on two major streetcar lines even if you were to ignore the future subway. Should not have 152 below grade spaces. Why can't these people get through their skulls that parking creates traffic, declining the quality of the project and the area.
exactly, people looking to own cars should be living anywhere but inbetween three streetcar lines, and practically on top of a new subway line. Parking maximums or even 'bans' within new builds in MTSA's would be wise

exactly, people looking to own cars should be living anywhere but inbetween three streetcar lines, and practically on top of a new subway line. Parking maximums or even 'bans' within new builds in MTSA's would be wise
A little dictatorial perhaps? A ratio of just under 0.16 would allow for some flexibility within family units. And I am really not speaking of going out to get groceries. Toronto traffic should drive pedestrian and transit choices to begin with for the majority of the residents. But there may be a few…

There is another practical question to parking. That of service vehicles? I imagine they are or could be a component of the ‘guest’ parking.

A little dictatorial perhaps? A ratio of just under 0.16 would allow for some flexibility within family units. And I am really not speaking of going out to get groceries. Toronto traffic should drive pedestrian and transit choices to begin with for the majority of the residents. But there may be a few…

There is another practical question to parking. That of service vehicles? I imagine they are or could be a component of the ‘guest’ parking.
If such a thing is dictatorial, than so is the entire profession of planning. Regulations seeking to ensure civic investments are utilized fully are hardly ridiculous. In a city with infamous traffic, we should not be rubber stamping guarantees of hundreds of new congestion causing vehicles into urban neighborhoods

Relax on the anti car thing... it is entirely possible to have block after block in the downtown core with NO parking at all, and still have horrid traffic there, due to all of the millions of people who DONT live downtown.

Relax on the anti car thing... it is entirely possible to have block after block in the downtown core with NO parking at all, and still have horrid traffic there, due to all of the millions of people who DONT live downtown.
yep and that is solved by a congestion fee and highway removal, issues are multi faceted and have multiple solutions

**This is for today

494 Richmond Street East - Community Consultation Meeting

Tuesday, August 29, 2023 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
(UTC-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Last edited:
**This is for today

494 Richmond Street East - Community Consultation Meeting

Tuesday, August 29, 2023 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
(UTC-04:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

This really flew under my radar.
I saw them put up the development notice last week but didn't realize it was so soon.

not sure if this belongs here but the same developer owns some adjacent properties - this isn't reflected in the AIC afaik

Back