Toronto 450 Richmond West | 60.85m | 19s | DC Dev Corp | a—A

I agree that the bicycle parking ratio needs to increase, but it's also unrealistic to consider a 0% parking ratio even for a boutique condo. 8-10% is something I think they could fight.

I can think of at least one much larger downtown Toronto condo with zero vehicular parking; I'd like the city to grant developers the right to go to zero residential vehicular spots if they think that's what the market will bear.

The bike parking meets zoning. Parking can get away with 0, they can certainly sell out the units without it. Developers often have issues selling parking these days, it's gotten so expensive.

The standard downtown ratio is about 20% for parking right now.

I agree that the bicycle parking ratio needs to increase, but it's also unrealistic to consider a 0% parking ratio even for a boutique condo. 8-10% is something I think they could fight.

I'm not a fan of zero percent parking either. That isn't the case here. There are five car share spots. One way to look at it is that those 5 spots are the equivalent of a lot more private vehicle spots when it comes to their functionality. That does help people that own cars and/or need a car everyday but, this is probably not the best location for them to live anyways.

I can think of at least one much larger downtown Toronto condo with zero vehicular parking; I'd like the city to grant developers the right to go to zero residential vehicular spots if they think that's what the market will bear.
Are we talking about RCMI? That development is in very close proximity to more than 1 major transit route which made it an easier argument.

The bike parking meets zoning. Parking can get away with 0, they can certainly sell out the units without it. Developers often have issues selling parking these days, it's gotten so expensive.

The standard downtown ratio is about 20% for parking right now.

I know it meets zoning. I just don't feel it is enough as the city gets denser and denser and more expensive. There's no easy option like converting car spaces to bicycle for future growth either.

Yep, and so is this one.
Sure, Queen and Spadina.
To clarify, I am all for increasing car-free residents, but based on current City of Toronto standards it looks like a difficult ask (see below).
upload_2018-1-17_14-27-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_14-27-53.png
    upload_2018-1-17_14-27-53.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,732
This lot was closed this morning when I biked by. I imagine it's for staging for Lamb's project next door.. But at least another lot has (temporarily at least) bit the dust.

Last edited:
That's going to be quite the streetwall canyon on Richmond when all the projects in the pipeline are complete from Spadina towards the Waterworks building.

Back