Toronto 44 Romfield | 126.8m | 37s | Nordale | Kirkor Architects

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This new to the AIC application for a site that is, more or less, an L-Shape, and fronts both Finch and Keele w/o being directly at the corner where an older strip plaza sits.

The proposal seeks to replace 33 townhomes with 2 towers of 35 and 37 storeys.

Keele Frontage:

1704806721860.png

Finch frontage:

1704806762282.png

Aerial View:

1704806827626.png

The App:

From the above:

1704806928970.png

1704807445802.png

1704807540530.png

1704807566529.png

1704807677906.png

1704807622141.png

1704807295571.png

* hold it......where'd the plaza on the corner go? Ahem.

Site Plan:

1704806998991.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1704807150882.png

1704807801625.png

1704807896362.png

That's it for files as I've hit the UT limit!

Parking Ratio: 0.44

Elevator Ratio: 8 elevators - 972 units ; 0.82 elevators per 100 units

Comments:

Broadly, I see no reason to oppose the scale here, as proposed, though it lacks immediate precedent. However, the local councillor has been a royal pain about adding density here, so this one may be a bit of a slog.

For KirKor, this is a surprisingly unbusy design. I think the street wall could due to be 2 storeys shorter; and given a warmer tone.......as opposed to black; the retail on the Keele frontage in particular is adequate and the indoor amenity space should not be allowed to front Keele.

The Parking ratio is a tad high, but not absurd; the elevator ratio is distinctly too low by 2 elevators.

The proposed park is utter nonsense, its a POPs and the City should not mow the lawn for any new private building.

There are 2 existing parks nearby that could be enlarged/improved, one on the north side of Finch (literally across the street) in Foutainhead Park and Bratty Park to the south-west. This would be a more appropriate application of S.42/Parkland dedication.

For Community Benefits, obviously housing would be a good choice here; to that end, I will flag @HousingNowTO given this is a high density residential proposal next to transit. Additionally or alternatively a low cost community benefit could involve giving a 'Meadoway' upgrade to the Hydro Corridor landscape to the north, $100,000 would go a long way.

@INTz will have thoughts.

@Paclo is duly flagged.

Attachments

• 1704807047829.png
    1704807047829.png
    563.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
There is a HOUSING NOW site across the street (3933 KEELE) that our volunteers worked on with U of T MUCP students a few years ago, and came away with 27-Storeys / 213-Units as minimum-viable massing using 2022 costing-numbers, and the Housing Now models on "Affordable Rental" delivery.

Looks pretty nice. I'm sad there are only two retail locations. Id like to see more on the sides facing the main streets of keele and finch. Even down the diagonal stretch would be nice as I expect the plaza at the corner to be developed too (https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/ph/comm/communicationfile-124658.pdf).

So much development interest in the intersection of keele and finch: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/keele-finch-plus-planning-study.28692/#post-1365014

As noted in my comments, I can see no reason there shouldn't be more retail on the Keele frontage, repurposing the 'indoor amenity' space in the concept to retail is not a particularly arduous rethink.

Make sure to advocate for a solid street wall of retail on that side.

The Finch side is a bit more of an issue; the face that the LRT/Portal there largely impede easy crossings of Finch, including non-controlled turning movements is one thing, another is that the character on the north side of the road here is mostly institutional (school) and park. Meanwhile the balance of the south side of Finch has almost no retail going west until after the valley.

There is clearly going to be a need for more retail as the area intensifies. I think Keele reads as the primary shopping street in this section. So I would emphasize the need for retail on that stretch first.

One thing worth raising, I think is that the area probably needs or will need a new supermarket. The nearest chain grocer is Walmart about 700M to the south of Finch. There is a smaller independent or 2 closer, but I think at least one development should allow for a major grocer.

Id like the see the proposed park (POPs) moved up so it connects directly to the building, with retail all along that end to encourage people to go grab a bite to eat / have some ice cream and then sit in the park - make a destination out of it. The road can then be moved further south.

1704838565047.png

Id like the see the proposed park (POPs) moved up so it connects directly to the building, with retail all along that end to encourage people to go grab a bite to eat / have some ice cream and then sit in the park - make a destination out of it. The road can then be moved further south.

View attachment 532261

What you're identifying as a PoPs there IS the proposed park.

Which I would rather see become a PoPs, and the park dedication shifted off-site to expand one of the other parks nearby. The space is so tiny as to be borderline useless. The composition shows it basically as a landscaped path with no amenity at all.

Height in the title seems off. It's supposed to be 123.8m plus a 6.5 metre mech. This would make the height 130.3 metres. @Paclo

Height in the title seems off. It's supposed to be 123.8m plus a 6.5 metre mech. This would make the height 130.3 metres. @Paclo

Despite the 123.8m number appearing elsewhere in the submission documents, as per the architectural plan elevations the height to the top of the 37th floor is 120.3m + the 6.5m MPH

Would this project be one of the first developments seeking to build on low rise residential directly facing onto the LRT corridor/adjacent streets? I took a walk along Finch from Kipling to Jane the other day and was shocked at the number of backyard fences that front the street, with seemingly no projects in the works.

Back