Toronto 422 Wellington West | 14.33m | 2s | Allied | ERA Architects

A municipal government cannot simply expropriate at will.
It's been done, but it doesn't have to be expropriation. Apartment buildings abandoned by owners/developers do get bought up. The Pope Squat building got bought by Ontario. I know of a apartment building at Queen and Sorauren that was expropriated by Toronto. In these days of low vacancy rates, maybe it is something to be considered more often. As it is, a developer could be boxed in, if the viability of the project becomes impossible and they can't sell, then the city might make the best offer. The developer might have no other choice but to let it sit for years. Lamb might have factored in that they would get the full height, etc. and can't sustain the project at some other height for the length of time it tkes to get through the process. Developers don't always get their way and don't always get their budgets right. Like One Bloor. And Giraffe got sold after it was solidly rejected and the new owners bought adjacent properties to make the density feasible (we'll see). Anyway, this building needs a saviour.

The Lamb / aA proposal was quite nice and the units that resulted from the building form were excellent. Why did you think it was so 'horrible'?
In my opinion:
It is too tall for this neighbourhood
Looks at this West view of the building. It blocks everything around and cast the shadows everywhere else West
I think the integration of the heritage building is not well done, it looks as separate entities.

22505-78115.jpeg

Here's an example of a good one for integration, In my opinion :p
historic-buildings-on-john-street-toronto-that-were-moved-further-south-from-106-john-street-toronto.jpg

BSt18vMgOX5szgOctLL9rR91rL2ma--iymrAM8KtGs_02cAWMox3pTzbi39BROP8R0BVRlcHBbuF3wSjcDGYG0fyc1HR605tfr_MzCnMbTwBNeS6irlL9SbwXeY62lJTW-7L_g

brookfield-place-toronto.jpg

In my opinion:
It is too tall for this neighbourhood
Looks at this West view of the building. It blocks everything around and cast the shadows everywhere else West
I think the integration of the heritage building is not well done, it looks as separate entities.

Here's an example of a good one for integration, In my opinion :p
Too tall is subjective, but as the building's neighbours under construction to the north and south (not to mention approvals down the block to the east and west) are essentially the same height, it's really a moot point.

Regarding the retention, the whole point was that they read as separate entities - a far more compelling approach than to ctrl-v the facade onto the new structure (especially here, where the house has a peaked roof and should be read separately). That Brad was proposing to move the house would be a massive expense and difficult for a res pro-forma to justify.

Too tall is subjective, but as the building's neighbours under construction to the north and south (not to mention approvals down the block to the east and west) are essentially the same height, it's really a moot point.

Regarding the retention, the whole point was that they read as separate entities - a far more compelling approach than to ctrl-v the facade onto the new structure (especially here, where the house has a peaked roof and should be read separately). That Brad was proposing to move the house would be a massive expense and difficult for a res pro-forma to justify.

So why was it rejected both at the city and LPAT level then? lol

Proposed structure was too tall and too long, in the opinion of those tasked with assessing it. Heritage retention strategy was fine.

Listen, if you think it was too tall, that's great. I'm asking whether in the context of the planned and constructed reality of Wellington Street West whether that was the right call. I contend that it was not.

It would have been the tallest on Wellington St from Spadina to Bathurst I think
The 3 new buildings of the Well facing Wellington are 16 stories
The Thompson hotel and 55 Stewart are 14-15 stories max?
485 Wellington same 14-15 stories
Portland Commons doesn't face Wellington directly is 16 stories in the max height

I count in the rendering this one has 18 floors ON Top of the heritage house
It looks like a physical wall dividing Wellington

Back