Toronto 4155 Yonge | 42.44m | 11s | GreenCity | Richard Wengle

Why are locals so concerned with what gets built on a major arterial? I don't understand this kind of objection. How does it negatively affect their lives? I wish NIMBYs would direct their energy at developers re the quality of architecture in a given development instead of lowering the heights of buildings by arbitrary numbers.

While I don't condone the NIMBY's, I believe this proposal would have been much higher than the other condos already built on William Carson. Plus this condo would have towered over the neighbouring church.

The adjacent neighbourhood is full of multi-million dollar homes. Its really no wonder that the original proposal was killed.

There was also an issue of erosion of the adjacent hill. If I recall from the original OMB ruling one the issues was that the developer wanted to build to the edge of their property line, which would have put too much stress on that hill.

Why are locals so concerned with what gets built on a major arterial? I don't understand this kind of objection. How does it negatively affect their lives? I wish NIMBYs would direct their energy at developers re the quality of architecture in a given development instead of lowering the heights of buildings by arbitrary numbers.

Seriously,.... did you even go through the development proposal,.... do you even understand the area,.... you can not just build whatever you want where ever you want. Its not even a question of NIMBY.

The original proposal and their counter proposal went higher in height than anything else around the area,.... and they do not even have the corner lot at major arteries. Still substantially higher than the other condo buildings on that street,.... heck, whose condo boards contributed financially to fight this development proposal!

The main thing is there is an unwritten rule in this part of the Don Valley,.... nothing can be built higher than the valley ridge. And they were proposing to go above that. Since then the city and Toronto Region Conservation Authority have further strengthen those rules. At the OMB hearing, the developer got ass-whipped mainly on height, density and environmental factors. The local ratepayers group,... loaded up their war chest quite quickly,.... and they were very very well represented at the OMB,... and they are ready for the next one.

Seriously,.... did you even go through the development proposal,.... do you even understand the area,.... you can not just build whatever you want where ever you want. Its not even a question of NIMBY.

The original proposal and their counter proposal went higher in height than anything else around the area,.... and they do not even have the corner lot at major arteries. Still substantially higher than the other condo buildings on that street,.... heck, whose condo boards contributed financially to fight this development proposal!

The main thing is there is an unwritten rule in this part of the Don Valley,.... nothing can be built higher than the valley ridge. And they were proposing to go above that. Since then the city and Toronto Region Conservation Authority have further strengthen those rules. At the OMB hearing, the developer got ass-whipped mainly on height, density and environmental factors. The local ratepayers group,... loaded up their war chest quite quickly,.... and they were very very well represented at the OMB,... and they are ready for the next one.
No, I didn't. And I never suggested that anything could be built in any place. From my experience, most NIMBY complaints revolve around the height of buildings/shadow concerns, increased traffic, etc.

No, I didn't. And I never suggested that anything could be built in any place. From my experience, most NIMBY complaints revolve around the height of buildings/shadow concerns, increased traffic, etc.

This is NOT about NIMBY types of locals,... these same locals are very involved in local developments and they gave their blessing to the low-rise condos along WilliamCarson Cresent and the 4050 Yonge development (former TTC head office and now Easton - HiltonHotel - condo office - retail mix use development.

The reason the locals fought this development was simply because it was terrible, plain and simple. Its on the side of the valley and was so tall it would have towered over the houses along the top of the valley ridge. Then you add in the environmental factors. Shadow and traffic was never a major factor for the locals,... this site has easy access to Yonge Street and is right by Highway 401.

The locals were soo pissed about this proposal,.... that when the local ratepayers group went knocking on doors to beef up their war-chest, the suggested donation was in the 4-figures,.... and most homeowners were easily obliging without a second thought,..... Dude, if somebody came to my door and even asked for a 2-figure donation, I would be rolling on the ground laughing!

This is NOT about NIMBY types of locals,... these same locals are very involved in local developments and they gave their blessing to the low-rise condos along WilliamCarson Cresent and the 4050 Yonge development (former TTC head office and now Easton - HiltonHotel - condo office - retail mix use development.

The reason the locals fought this development was simply because it was terrible, plain and simple. Its on the side of the valley and was so tall it would have towered over the houses along the top of the valley ridge. Then you add in the environmental factors. Shadow and traffic was never a major factor for the locals,... this site has easy access to Yonge Street and is right by Highway 401.

The locals were soo pissed about this proposal,.... that when the local ratepayers group went knocking on doors to beef up their war-chest, the suggested donation was in the 4-figures,.... and most homeowners were easily obliging without a second thought,..... Dude, if somebody came to my door and even asked for a 2-figure donation, I would be rolling on the ground laughing!

sounds like "NIMBY" types of locals...

They were digging test holes on this site today.

I guess they are looking to do a new soil or geotech report.

4155 YONGE ST
Ward 25 - North York District

►View All Properties

Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By Law amendment to cosntruct a 14 storey residential building on the western portion of the subject site. The proposed building would be constructed over the existing TTC subway tunnel. The proposed building includes a total of 64 units and a total gross floor area of 10,321.50sqm. The overall density proposed for the subject site is 3.20 Floor space index (FSI).

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 17 245489 NNY 25 OZ Oct 10, 2017 Under Review

This site was dormant for a few years.

Just a few months ago they recently re-paved it and re-opened it as a Parking Lot. With way less spaces then previously.

Developer is Green City Development Group, architect is Quadrangle:
upload_2017-10-13_15-22-8.png

upload_2017-10-13_15-25-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-13_15-22-8.png
    upload_2017-10-13_15-22-8.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 698
  • upload_2017-10-13_15-25-43.png
    upload_2017-10-13_15-25-43.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 671
seems kinda random and out of context with the surrounding buildings (height wise)

Banister balcony railings? An all-spandrel top? 'Urp. If they carried the materiality of the middle section into the top section but made it airier, they'd have something, but as designed it looks like they've patched something together having faced a brick shortage.

Not bad, considering they they could’ve chosen to have an all spandrel bottom as well.

seems kinda random and out of context with the surrounding buildings (height wise)
They should be pushing for higher heights this close to a subway station though.

The rich nimbys in the neighborhood to the east will probably get this reduced to 8 stories.

Back