Toronto 41-45 Spadina Road | 55.5m | 15s | ProWinko | a—A

I hate this building but I also see no reason why Spadina and Bloor should be limited to 35 storeys to start so unclear why this has to be so short.

For those who don't know, which i think may be a few of you here, Madison Avenue which is right behind this property is a Heritage Conservation District, and the vast majority of the properties are designated:

1719360783869.png

Pink is the Heritage Conservation District, blue dot is designed property.

You can see this property at Spadina/Lowther is designated, and then properties behind it are as well, and then listed and designated to its south.

This does (in theory) place some limitations on what can be built and what can be built next to what. There won't be a direct limitation by height, but there will be in any given proposal's impact on the designated district and buildings.

Thanks, Northern Light-san...if I'm reading the pink bits right, least they're not planning to build one of those over my digs. 🙀

I hate this building but I also see no reason why Spadina and Bloor should be limited to 35 storeys to start so unclear why this has to be so short.
This is all fake, so I'm giving it about that much time, but the existing structure is a designated building. How would you propose to build taller with a larger core and more elevators essentially without touching what's there today?

I agree with ProjectEnd that Pro Winko is a curious operation and I'm not sure how serious they are.
That said, I would imagine these are planned to be rentals.

The rental development strategy is a whole other ballgame than condo development, which is what most of us in Toronto have been over-exposed to. The next decade is going to be dramatically different than the formula we've followed for the last few decades. Not sure yet if that applies to this project but I hope so because I think this is a really great way to add gentle density.

This is all fake, so I'm giving it about that much time, but the existing structure is a designated building. How would you propose to build taller with a larger core and more elevators essentially without touching what's there today?
... wait, you mean you can't just build residential towers over nail houses? 😼

Side core, sky lobby, or just touch what's there. It's not sacred. Lots of designated buildings, especially with older easement agreements without good specificity get augmented.

But I meant more from a planning and context perspective.

And in any case, I wouldn't propose it. I'd propose leaving it alone because it's a nice building and I hate the automall design of the addition.

Last edited:
The city does not need 35+ story towers at every corner. It's time to spread density more evenly throughout the city, instead of cramming everything into a few areas.

Back