Barrie 41-43 Essa Road (Barrie) | 136.25m | 37s | Tonlu Properties | Arch. Unfolded

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another large Barrie development flying under the radar, near Allandale GO. Key stats bolded by me:

"Innovative Planning Solutions Inc. on behalf of Tonlu Properties, are seeking to amend the current zoning for lands known municipally as 41 & 43 Essa Road and 259 & 273 Innisfil Street from from 'Light Industrial' (LI) and 'Central Area Commercial' (C1-1) to 'Transition Centre Commercial with Special Provisions' (C2-2)(SP-XXX) to facilitate the development of four (4) buildings at 20, 29, 35 and 37 storeys in height intended for 1,276 residential apartments with ground floor commercial along the Essa Road and Innisfil Street frontages. The special provisions include, but may not be limited to, reducing the commercial use requirement to 5%, increase in height, decreased setback from the railway, reduced side yard setbacks and removal of the general requirement to comply with the residential zoning provisions for apartment dwellings.

The project is a collection of properties located in the Allandale Neighbourhood, generally bounded by Innisfil Street, the BCRY railway and Essa Road, both west and east of Innisfil Street and southwest of the railway tracks."

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Pla.../259-Innisfil-Street-41-and-43-Essa-Road.aspx

Photos from Barrie Today:

2021-07-20-barrie-tsc-rb.png
2021-11-03-tsc-demo-innisfil-st.-rb-7.png
2021-11-03-tsc-demo-innisfil-st.-rb-4.png
2021-11-03-tsc-demo-innisfil-st.-rb-1.png

I'll grab updated photos next time I'm in Barrie.

Another large Barrie development flying under the radar, near Allandale GO. Key stats bolded by me:

"Innovative Planning Solutions Inc. on behalf of Tonlu Properties, are seeking to amend the current zoning for lands known municipally as 41 & 43 Essa Road and 259 & 273 Innisfil Street from from 'Light Industrial' (LI) and 'Central Area Commercial' (C1-1) to 'Transition Centre Commercial with Special Provisions' (C2-2)(SP-XXX) to facilitate the development of four (4) buildings at 20, 29, 35 and 37 storeys in height intended for 1,276 residential apartments with ground floor commercial along the Essa Road and Innisfil Street frontages. The special provisions include, but may not be limited to, reducing the commercial use requirement to 5%, increase in height, decreased setback from the railway, reduced side yard setbacks and removal of the general requirement to comply with the residential zoning provisions for apartment dwellings.

The project is a collection of properties located in the Allandale Neighbourhood, generally bounded by Innisfil Street, the BCRY railway and Essa Road, both west and east of Innisfil Street and southwest of the railway tracks."

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Planning-and-Development/Proposed-Developments/Ward8/Pages/259-Innisfil-Street-41-and-43-Essa-Road.aspx

Photos from Barrie Today:

View attachment 363213View attachment 363214View attachment 363215View attachment 363216

I'll grab updated photos next time I'm in Barrie.

From the Arch Docs:

1637080108654.png

1637080131236.png

1637080148597.png

1637080187710.png

From the Planning Justification Report:

1637080286214.png

1637080362733.png

1637080390055.png

1637080416983.png

1637080441650.png

Parking 1276 resident spaces - exactly 1 per unit.

Seems a bit high. I realize its Barrie, but is also a short walk to the GO Stn, parks, and DT Barrie. Be nice to see that a bit lower. Oh well.

This is what happens when they want to build 80% of the housing market for condos instead of single family homes in the Golden Horseshoe area!

This is what happens when they want to build 80% of the housing market for condos instead of single family homes in the Golden Horseshoe area!
It's because land values, labour and materials are so expensive that all new developments are forced to be high density to recoup costs. You see the same trend with new build townhouses and detached houses. The former are stacked, back to back, or both simultaneously, with non-existent yards. Meanwhile, take a look at some detached in name only new builds in Oakville: linked garages and miniscule yards.

It's another symptom of what happens all around Ontario. First, the majority of the prime land in a city within a reasonable distance of the city centre gets used for low-density housing (typically single detached housing but also some semis and towns here and there). Then, they build high-rise buildings when there's little land left and regulations that prevent higher-density housing in low-rise neighbourhoods.

BUILD IT. Barrie's walk score needs desperate improvement. As well the short walk to the GO station will be beneficial to the residents and with increased usage of the Allandale station will likely bring more improvement to it over the years.

Back