Toronto 400 King West | 157.37m | 48s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

Great pix! The Hyatt looks increasingly like a relic the more development happens around it.

Can anyone explain to me why renders like this exist and are created?

I recognize that I'm a layman ... but they seem like an odd way to portray a building. The image itself is unflattering, and I've sure never looked up and seen a building look like that, with over-accentuated upper floors.
Is it supposed to be attractive and artistic and it's just me that doesn't get it?

27748-132719.jpeg

I recognize that I'm a layman ... but they seem like an odd way to portray a building. The image itself is unflattering, and I've sure never looked up and seen a building look like that, with over-accentuated upper floors.
Is it supposed to be attractive and artistic and it's just me that doesn't get it?

View attachment 500745
I found this building and thought of your post. It’s the first time ever that I’ve seen a building that has the exaggerated angles. It’s located at parliament and bloor street, at the point where the danforth becomes bloor street.
IMG_4484.jpeg

View attachment 500745
Though I tend to agree with you, renderings are supposed to draw attention to a building. We are talking about it, though I really have no great interest in it, clearly it worked!

It's just a way of viewing proposed developments that's currently all the rage. I find it odd and unnatural myself, but photography is not immune to the following of popular trends and conventions.

I found this building and thought of your post. It’s the first time ever that I’ve seen a building that has the exaggerated angles. It’s located at parliament and bloor street, at the point where the danforth becomes bloor street.
Great shot and thanks AA!

View attachment 500745
Agreed with @Lenser, it looks unnatural. Where a more realistic rendering would have the upper part of the tower getting narrowed and narrower, marketing types seem to see that as diminishing the building, so a perspective "correction" is applied to keep the sides of the building straight, and from converging towards a vanishing point. That same perspective correction can be applied in Photoshop to photos too, so there are photographers out there using it too… …all of it being an overuse to my mind. An image with no extrapolated vanishing point in the distance to me looks very weird to me. IMHO, a compromise would be better for marketing purposes where the the sides still converge as they get further from the vantage point, but maybe not to a natural degree. Absolute straight up-and-down simply looks wrong, because it is.

Back