Toronto 399 Yonge | 252.3m | 75s | Capital Developments | Teeple Architects

Strip malls at least offer unique experiences with better deals than another crappy Starbucks or mortgage centre ever could. Don't be dissing an overpriced dive bar full of naked employees. They have their place.
They absolutely have their place, I just don't think that it's on the main, relatively undeveloped street in the middle of Canada's largest city.

I love the Hairy Tarantula, the rabbit-warren comic book/games store tucked up in its dingy second-floor space in a somewhat decrepit building on Yonge south of Gerrard. It is a delightful, wonderful, geeky spot. But it seems rather absurd to me that it is on the main drag of downtown core, and that its building has not be redeveloped, or at least renovated.

I'm not saying Yonge couldn't use a lot of sprucing up but, I like that it doesn't have the corporate look of other cities. Even worse, we're in the process of turning this "main drag" into anonymous high density residential on large, repetitive podiums with mostly chain, service based retail.

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at Wednesday Aug 3, 2016 11.26.50 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at Wednesday Aug 3, 2016 11.26.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at Wednesday Aug 3, 2016 11.26.50 AM.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 1,144
we're in the process of turning this "main drag" into anonymous high density residential on large, repetitive podiums with mostly chain, service based retail.
I think there's a happy medium between generic condos with boring commercial spaces, and strip clubs and head shops.

I think there's a happy medium between generic condos with boring commercial spaces, and strip clubs and head shops.

Yes, it's called West Queen West, King West, College (Little Italy), Ossington, Dundas West (Little Portugal/Brockton), Kensington, Roncesvalles, Parkdale, The Junction, Riverdale, Leslieville. These are all very interesting retail streets and neighbourhoods with a nice mix of hip shops, bars and eateries. It baffles me that Yonge has none of the cool vibe that all those other areas have. It's actually stunningly lame.

The new Rexall 260 metres away from the other Rexall at College Park has been open for a week now:
2016-10-05 17.37.15.jpg

Attachments

• 2016-10-05 17.37.15.jpg
    2016-10-05 17.37.15.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 1,122
I agree. At first the mezzanine reminded me of Walgreens seen in some downtown spaces in the States, but this is just dull.

Yeah though that's a Rexall problem and not something to lay on Kingsett (I am happy enough to see the building getting restored).

AoD

Yeah though that's a Rexall problem and not something to lay on Kingsett (I am happy enough to see the building getting restored).

AoD

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but this isn't really a restoration project. It would be considered a rehabilitation given the modern interventions and the fact that not much other than the facade remains from what was there before.

I especially dislike the shoulder-high window frosting on the middle section of the building. The cashiers have their backs to this area, and i know that drugstores dont have a lot of products that would make good window displays, but still, i think there should be better views into the store.... Not a fan of Rexall anyway, so i wont be shopping there.

Why anyone would shop at Rexall is beyond me. When it first opened near me I was glad to see it but when I saw the prices were sometimes as high as double Shoppers Drug Mart, I was not too pleased. Every time I walk by a Rexall, they seem to be empty, so I have no idea why they keep opening more downtown. I think this is a very disappointing use for this attractive building. I would have much preferred an animated restaurant or unique store.

And the sophisticated new restaurant opening in the remaining 2nd floor and the 2,000 SF rooftop patio is.... Boston Pizza. I noticed the "Coming Soon" sign today.

:( It's hard to be an optimist in this city sometimes.

lol... really? They could have just as easily knocked it down and built another generic condo. Someone's gotta pay for the cost of buying the land and restoring the facade, and it's not going to be an independent brand with no credit.

Tenants are fleeting and ever changing. In the long run what matters is the building itself. Just a reminder of what this used to be:

It has started - from this morning:

photo-jpg.45677

AoD

Yup, no reason for optimism at all...

Back