Barrie 37 Johnson Street | 33.52m | 11s | Starlight | Arch. Unfolded

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
N.B. I'll be posting a bunch of recent development applications in Barrie. Generally, I'll only be including proposals that have had some activity in the last 2-3 years. There are a few more proposals that seem to have stalled years ago, so my posts today aren't exhaustive. But it's clear development is on fire in Barrie--another place flying relatively under the radar like KW and Hamilton. Apologies if any of these proposals have already been posted and please merge the threads.

Application: https://www.barrie.ca/City Hall/Planning-and-Development/Proposed-Developments/Ward1/Pages/37-Johnson-Street.aspx

Type of ApplicationStatus
Site Plan ControlUnder Review - April 2020
Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law AmendmentApproved By LPAT Decision Dated December 23, 2019

Starlight continues to densify their tower in the park sites.

"MHBC on behalf of D.D. 37 Johnson St. (Starlight Investments) has received approval for an Official Plan Amendment to permit a density of 290 units per hectare, and Zoning By-law Amendment to change the zoning standards from (RA1-3) to Residential Apartment Second Density (RA2-1) with Special Provisions to better represent the development of a second 11 storey apartment building at this location. The site is subject to Site Plan Control"

Existing building on the right. Arch plans:

1.JPG

Streetview:

2.JPG

Last edited:
Can't accuse it of not being exactly like the renders. Today:

In this case, that's unfortunate.

Equally unfortunate, that while it wouldn't stunning, for a couple of pretty small changes that would likely be cost-neutral it could be much better.

The podium should use the red brick colour on all three floors; there's no reason for the black colour at grade here, it makes no sense visually.

The first floor height needs a small boost, it looks squashed.

The roughly mid-building white band that is for reasons beyond my comprehension on two different levels should really be just one band on one level across (or not there at all)

The vertical cladding (white) also needs to appear in each vertical section w/o balconies up to the same height.

Now change all the white cladding Jet Black and this works much better, it would blend into the window pains and the spandrel.

Back