Toronto 350 Evans | ?m | ?s | Arch. Unfolded

I find your “what the HELL” line humourous considering your chosen user name “YIMBY”
I can be pro-development and still support some order in the way a City is built-out. It's more a what the hell because he was staunchly against towers at Mimico GO (which to me made sense), but then pro non-TOD/industrial conversion in the same breath.

Any chance that writing to him will make any impact?

He literally just explained in his own letter why this proposal is not a good idea whatsoever: "Currently the need for innovation incubators, co-working spaces, and modern flexible office space for small businesses is not being met in South Etobicoke"

I'll also add that we desperately need warehouse space in this city, especially to meet the need of small/medium sized businesses (most of which are using e-commerce to meet their business needs).

So he knows the issues, which i've pretty much repeated at length on some of my posts here on UT, but is doing the exact opposite of what we need? This is just sheer idiocy. Especially since is the exact kind of land that you use to resolve those issues.

Former Councillor Peter Milczyn has registered to lobby on this one.

1648487556622.png

Client:

1648487600598.png

I drove past (Kipling to islington) this site admittedly from the highway and all I saw was acres of self storage units. Not exactly the big employment lands that some are making it out to be.

I drove past (Kipling to islington) this site admittedly from the highway and all I saw was acres of self storage units. Not exactly the big employment lands that some are making it out to be.
It's not so much whats on the site right now that's the problem. It's what could be on this site, taking into consideration what it's zoned for and the surrounding neighborhood context.

The existing usage doesn't maximize its potential (from an employment use perspective).

It's not so much whats on the site right now that's the problem. It's what could be on this site, taking into consideration what it's zoned for and the surrounding neighborhood context.

The existing usage doesn't maximize its potential (from an employment use perspective).
Understood but people need places to live. We don’t build tall along the bloor danforth line because we have to respect the neighbourhoods. Translation we are scared of NIMBYs. We have an avenue plan along eglinton despite an underground lrt because again we have to respect neighbourhoods. Land assembly isn’t an easy thing either. So developers have naturally moved to where there’s less resistance. And here we are pretending that employment areas are anything more than smart centre big box stores and or storage units. I would have thought big box stores would be a problem on a urban forum and I definitely thought a priority would be a place to store people not things. Where exactly are we supposed to build if NIMBYs block the sensible areas and we feel compelled to keep land for peoples junk?

Last edited:
Understood but people need places to live. We don’t build tall along the bloor danforth line because we have to respect the neighbourhoods. Translation we are scared of NIMBYs. We have an avenue plan along eglinton despite an underground lrt because again we have to respect neighbourhoods. Land assembly isn’t an easy thing either. So developers have naturally moved to where there’s less resistance. And here we are pretending that employment areas are anything more than smart centre big box stores and or storage units. I would have thought big box stores would be a problem on a urban forum and I definitely thought a priority would be a place to store people not things.
People also need places to: work, go to school, collaborate, etc. Developers can cry till the sun dont shine that people need places to live (yes that's true, we desperately need housing in this city), but at the same time there are other things that are needed to make a city function properly.

Trust me I can think of more than 2-3 dozen sites across South Etobicoke that havent been touched yet for residential mid-high rise that could be, and you wouldnt need to turn to this property. I dont pity developers who are worried about paying the price for land assembly, they've got the money so pay up.

People also need places to: work, go to school, collaborate, etc. Developers can cry till the sun dont shine that people need places to live (yes that's true, we desperately need housing in this city), but at the same time there are other things that are needed to make a city function properly.

Trust me I can think of more than 2-3 dozen sites across South Etobicoke that havent been touched yet for residential mid-high rise that could be, and you wouldnt need to turn to this property. I dont pity developers who are worried about paying the price for land assembly, they've got the money so pay up.
I am not sympathizing with developers. It’s the politicians faults for caving to the NIMBYs. It’s peoples selfish fault for not wanting other to live close to them. It’s a combination of faults. That isn’t my concern.

At the end of the day this employement land is simply large storage bins which isn’t employing many people I suspect. One block to to the east of this is townhouses. Directly across the bridge is condos. It’s not the only residential build in the area. Is it ideal. No. But I’m not going to pretend the area is going to be used for anything other than storing crap for the next twenty years if this doesn’t get built. That’s not a win either.

Back