Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

The zoning here is approved. A settlement offer was accepted back in 2018. So it is highly likely that some variation of this development will for forward at some point.

Why the SPA has not yet been issued I'm not sure, but I would assume, absent evidence to the contrary that that will be forthcoming.

However, absent an issued SPA, and with no permits applied for or pulled, nothing would seem to be imminent.
Will the heritage building be included in this? I can't tell by the images if it would be demo'd and retain the outer walls?

I literally will be living directly across from that building and I rather like the view. I just put up my unit for sale to remove myself from the 10yr construction grid at Queen+Church+Jarvis neighborhood.

Will the heritage building be included in this? I can't tell by the images if it would be demo'd and retain the outer walls?

I literally will be living directly across from that building and I rather like the view. I just put up my unit for sale to remove myself from the 10yr construction grid at Queen+Church+Jarvis neighborhood.
There are renderings at start of thread, go and look at them. Of course, renderings are 'renderings' but ... As far as I know the buildings are being emptied out (or, at least, no long leases offered). Something will certainly happen here as these kinds of lower-grade office buildings are NOT doing well anywhere.

There are renderings at start of thread, go and look at them. Of course, renderings are 'renderings' but ... As far as I know the buildings are being emptied out (or, at least, no long leases offered). Something will certainly happen here as these kinds of lower-grade office buildings are NOT doing well anywhere.
Renderings can always be most easily found by clicking on the Database File link at the top of any thread page.

Reactions: DSC

Minor Variance application to replace the required office space with a 142-suite hotel

PLN-CA Plans - PLANS-1-1.jpg
PLN-CA Plans - PLANS-1-2.jpg
PLN-CA Plans - PLANS-1-3.jpg

Good idea!

The cover letter states:

The Minor Variance Application

This Minor Variance application proposes to replace the required office space with hotel space and related facilities, which is a non-residential use under the City’s zoning by-law. No other changes to the approved heights or building form are proposed. The addition of a hotel and supporting commercial uses would replace the office space that was previously approved between Levels 1 and 9, and will deliver 142 new hotel suites. The residential floors are planned on levels 11-33 and will offer 219 dwelling units, as originally proposed. Level 1 of the building is planned as lobby/retail space. The heritage building at 2 Toronto Street will be integrated as part of the proposed hotel, with Levels 2 and 3 accommodating commercial food and beverage space, and Levels 4 and 5 accommodating hotel conference room facilities. The total GFA proposed for the site is 25,112 square metres, of which 8,836square metres is hotel space and 1,317 square metres is complementary commercial/retail space.

The facade looks nice! Also really appreciate that they reconstruct the lost heritage cornice!
To correct you...

Also really appreciate that the rendering shows the reconstruction of the lost heritage cornice!

We shall see if it actually happens, though I too agree it is a good thing and may be cheap enough to be done!

Anyone else sick of the constant pessimism as if nothing has ever been built according to renders?
... and given projects like CIBC Square x 2, 160 Front West, The One, the way SkyTower is shaping up, Canary Landing, the exquisite Aqualuna etc. etc.... actually blow their renders out of the water.

Maybe the really good ones are just that much sweeter because of the forum's long history of assuming the worst... the ancient rallying call/whining of "why can't we have good things?". There's plenty of duds of course, but way more good, very good and excellent ones to entertain me.

Place comments here: _ _ _ _ _ _

Back